Minifig parts' pictures need to be better.

So I can't be the only one who is really annoyed sometimes at some of the pictures for minifigure parts. They're all crooked so it makes any prints hard to see when they are on a packing slip. I don't get internet in my storage building, so I put all orders together using the packing slip I've printed beforehand instead of using my laptop. For minifigure parts, it's really hard to tell what the prints are on the heads, torsos, and legs, simply because the pieces in the pictures are crooked.

I actually had to take all my minifigure heads off and sell them exclusively on BL because it was too hard to tell what head was what on the picture. I would have to bring the packing slip and my box of heads into the house, pull the image up on Brickowl, and look on that. If it was still too hard to tell, I'd have to find out what sent it was found in, pull that up on BL, and look at their picture. Too much of a hassle.

It's really a pity since I was selling the heads more here than on BL. So what I think needs to be done is that all the heads, torsos, and legs get front-on pics instead of the crooked ones they currently have. I don't mind taking pictures for the pieces I currently have to help out, I just want to make sure that if I do so, the pictures will be accepted instead of denied. I don't want to go through all the time of taking hundreds of pictures and uploading them, just to have them all denied. I tried uploading my first two pictures to brickowl today, one of a decorated brick that didn't have a picture yet, and one of a head to replace the current crooked picture. The decorated brick picture got accepted within a few hours. The head picture is still pending, almost like the administrators aren't sure whether or not to replace the current image.

So would anyone else agree that front-on pics would be better than the angled, crooked ones that we have currently? And perhaps I could get a confirmation from an administrator or someone in charge that if I did start to replace the angled pictures with front-on ones , that they would get accepted (as long as they were good enough quality) and it wouldn't be a waste of time.

Thanks for reading my short story above. :smile: I just want what's best for Brickowl and this seems like a good idea, at least to me.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So, someone, or maybe a bunch of people started goatleg.com. I haven't visited it but understand that it is a clearing house of parts to minifigs, to be able to identify parts and put together, disassemble. Is this something that helps?
  • No, not really. Like I said, I don't have internet inside my shop, I rely on the name, item number, and picture on the packing slip to get the right piece for the order. Names are very vague for minifigure parts, item numbers are all the same for the heads, same for torsos, etc. So it is the picture I rely on the most. The pictures for the legs are good enough (for the most part) that I don't need to go back into the house and check online, but still could be improved. The pictures for most of the heads are angled so that the left side of the print is not in the picture. I cannot use them and therefore, in my situation of lack of internet, it is not worth my time to list the heads on Brickowl, though I would love too.

My post here is not on the difficulty of locating a specific piece on the site, but on the low quality of the pictures for the minifig parts. What I mainly want to know, is that if I started replacing the current angled pictures with quality front-on pictures, would they be accepted or would it be a big waste of time for me to try?
  • For example, here is the picture that I suggested replace the current one for BOID 762434-93. 8 hours later, and it's still pending. Of course, I cropped it to cut out the torso (there to create stability for the head). The current picture is angled so that the left side of the print is partially not visible. On the computer, where you can view it at a large size, the current picture isn't too bad. However, on a packing slip, it's smaller and the angle creates a slight distortion of the print. On heads with less distinct features, it becomes very problematic.

The quality isn't the best in this picture (a family member took the better camera for a short vacation they are having; going to get it back soon), but even then, it's a lot easier to tell the features of the print since it's front-on and not sideways.

I just want to make sure that before I start taking pictures like this for hundreds of other heads that I have, that this will be acceptable.
  • The problem is that most images on BO come direct from TLG, and their images almost always show the pieces rotated 45 degrees. It would take a HUGE amount of effort from many, many people to create new photos of the several hundred different heads - effort better spent creating images for those items that still don't have them. In short, it's not going to happen, at least any time soon.

Whether or not your own images would be accepted - I don't see any reason why not, but maybe not as the primary image, which is what appears on the picking lists.

It may be that you need to find a solution that works for you. I think picking by picture is where you're going wrong. For something like heads especially, you really need a storage solution that allows you to identify the part without needing to check it matches the picture (some heads differ only in the colour of the eyebrows...).

I used to store heads in little baggies marked on the outside with the BOID/BLID. These days I store all parts in a series of pull-out draws, each marked with a storage location (A1, A2, etc.), and I note the location of each part within the remarks field here on BO.

Either method would be a good place to start. Of course the pictures always allow you to double check but you don't necessarily need a detailed picture if you have other information to work with.
  • Yeah, I don't expect all the heads to be changed in a week, or a month, or even a year. I just want to know if front-on pictures would be an acceptable change over the current angled ones; so that me, and any others who feel the same, can work on slowly replacing the images on our own time. I currently have 700 pieces in my inventory that don't have an image on brickowl. I plan on working on those every Saturday. But afterwords I don't mind taking some time to start replacing the pictures for the heads I have; but if I did so, would the pictures be replaced with mine or stay the same?

As to organizing, thanks for the tips. I do need to find a better solution. Plastic Drawers won't work for me; I use shelving units with cardboard boxes (currently switching over to plastic containers when I can)

I have been expanding my inventory rapidly since February, and as such, I don't have enough room to really break my heads down anymore (or anything for that matter. :smile: ) The heads are currently all in one box sorted in gallon bags (each gallon bag for a specific stud type and color). Inside the gallon bags each different head is in it's own tiny bag with a label with the BLID.

I did not realize that I could put the BOID on the packing slips, thanks so much for pointing that out! Next round of listing heads, I will label them all with the BOID and put them on Brickowl. That will help greatly. Though I still think the pictures could use an upgrade. As the Lego company themselves put it:

"Only the best is good enough!"
  • As far as submitting pictures is concerned, they will be accepted only if they are better than the existing image. Obviously the term 'better' is subjective but just as it could mean technically better (lighting, focus, white balance, etc) it could also be descriptively better. In your suggestion of face on that would, in my mind, be more helpful and 'better' than the existing image. Don't be disheartened by the length of time it takes to have pictures approved - I've sometimes had to wait days rather than hours! Maybe submit a small quantity to start with, say five, and see if they are approved. If you know they work you can then start adding others at your leisure.
  • @firestar246 - If your heads are already marked up with the BLID - you could always just enter the BLID in the remarks field here on BO - if that's quicker than writing all the BOIDs on the bags.
  • @Hoddie- there's an idea! Might save time.
    @Jay37 - the picture I submitted was not accepted due to it being too dark and the torso still slightly being in the cropped image. Will have to work on better lighting and finding a way to keep the head from rolling (got a couple ideas). Think I'll focus first on the 700 pieces I have that don't have pictures. :smile:
  • When I do pieces I have them standing on a piece of transparent acrylic in my light tent (although I appreciate not everyone has one) which in turn is supported on four upturned glasses to allow light to bounce up from below (to help kill some of the shadow underneath). This gives a less obvious support when you come to crop the image. Admittedly the acrylic can be a bit pricey, but something like the top lid of a CD jewel case might work, although I've never tried it. If you have the camera at such a level that the base of the neck appears horizontal it might make cropping a little easier too. If you are using natural daylight as your light source (assuming this is coming from the side so you are not casting a shadow on the thing you're photographing), I have in the past used a piece of white card to bounce light back on to the shaded side. A small mirror or even kitchen foil stuck to card might work as well. There are plenty of cheap and chearful ways to give a pretty good result.
  • Thanks for the tips @Jay37 !! I don't have a light tent. I don't use natural sunlight, I have a tall lamp that lights up pretty well and doesn't leave a glare on anything. I found out that if I flip a round 1x1 tile upside-down, that the head will settle into it to prevent rolling and will cover the tile. So once I get my good camera back, I'm hoping that the quality will be better. I'll have to see. :smile:
  • If the heads are double sided please take a picture with both sides, if you only have one it could be the alternate picture, or modify the picture to show both sides.

Tyson
  • To help with the quality of the images, you can buy a small (cheap) light box off Amz or the Bay.
    They aren't a long lasting device but do make a huge difference for the picture quality.
    I also purchased a magnification lens for my cell phone because the macro images I took were hit and miss.
    Here's an example of images taken with my old Sony Xperia Z5, an add on macro lens and a light box.
    Getting the photo as good as possible saves a lot of time with editing and will ensure your pictures are accepted.
  • Wow, those are excellent results from a mobile phone camera.
  • I am probably the minority, but I actually dearly love the 45 degree tilt images - it looks professional to me. I upload my own images also tilted, and strip the background using an online free tool (background burner bonanza).

I never had an issue with telling my heads apart though, as I uploaded my inventory using brickstore (or brickstock, I forget the current name) IDs, which are recognized on the back-end of BO... and I have (as others have noted) bins, e.g., 762434-93 has a comment of A1-3, which means its in Bin A, Row 1, Column 3 (for smaller parts like this I use Akro-Mils bins or even smaller slotted cases for teeny parts like minifig hands, etc. I also cheated and use that field really meant for if you have a store on BO (other system lot number) for the Brickstock part number.

Having some kind of system that tells you location and kind of spreading items around your bins that are similar (such as minifig heads) really makes pulling WAY faster then going off an image... and you can always have the head in a 1x1 polybag (they're cheap on Amazon) and write the part number on it, if you are keeping multiple heads in the same bin.

Just another perspective and thought - obviously there is NO right or wrong to how any of us do it, just whatever works best for each seller! :-)
  • @Calibrick They do look professional, I just don't like the angle. If we could just tilt all the current pictures to the left a little so we can see the print a little better, I feel like that would be a lot better. :smile:
  • This also needs to be looked at from a buyers perspective. If they are looking for a particular print, the 45 degree angles can make it difficult to find the right ones.

Yes, if its for a particular minifig then they can go via the inventory of the figure, but we know there are many inventories still not complete here, and if its for a MOC, then they may not know what they need and are trying to browse for the right 'look' to fit in.

This point is also valid for people listing items for sale. If sellers have heads to sell and have no idea on the part numbers then, looking through the list of heads until they find the right one can be difficult with the 45 degree angles.

I agree the angled pictures look professional, but if it comes at the expense of usability then it loses its professionalism.
  • All fair points! Maybe if the tilt was less as firestar246 suggests, that would be a happy medium! :-)