Proof of posting

Just wondering how long does everyone keep their proof of postings for? Obviously when a customers shows order as received or leaves feedback I can throw it but as we all know not everyone chooses to leave feedback or show order as received. How long would you think I should keep them for please?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited June 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    AFAIK proof of posting is only required if you're intending to submit a claim to Royal Mail for loss, partial loss, damage or delay. Once the item has been delivered and everyone's happy, the proof of posting is useless. Last time I looked there was no apparent time limit on when you could submit a claim, which means if your customer doesn't mark an item as received and/or leave feedback, you might want to retain indefinitely.

Some people have claimed in the past that PayPal will occasionally accept it if you can't provide tracking information, but I find that doubtful. PayPal claims can be submitted up to 180 days after the payment was made, so you could keep them until that window expires if you want to retain the option to try this.
  • Hoddie - can you claim from Paypal then - I didn't know that? I thought you could only claim from Royal Mail for lost or damaged items?
  • Sorry no, I meant in the context of helping to counter a claim made against you where you didn't have tracking.
  • Ah right ok thanks Hoddie.
  • I have a folder with 12 poly pockets labelled for each month.

When I get round to the same month again I shred the old receipts and start again.
  • Great idea White Horse Bricks - think I will pinch it :-)
  • @White Horse Bricks - I do that too! :)
  • I take photos of untracked packages
  • there is an easier solution for UK delivery. If your label has a 2d barcode then you can get free online delivery confirmation for parcels and some large letter services. It is not the same as tracking and there is no signature but solves all "where is my stuff" enquiries.
  • Thanks for all your replies - very much appreciated