Condition of items

Something is bothering me about the condition I am listing some of my items and I would really appreciate some advice please. Its mainly torso's and heads I have the problem with. Most of my torsos are listed as good - am I correct ?? If I can explain a bit more. Most of them are used so they will have light scuffs through general play. They are not deeply scratched or dented just scuffs which is more visible with a magnifying glass. Obvious scratches or dents (teeth marks etc ) are listed as acceptable. So far and touch wood I have had no complaints - but I was just wondering am I correct? Legs are a dawdle really scratched or dented are classed as acceptable and I always try to point out the problems. I hope I am correct in my listings. I do not want to disappoint customers or no way try to scam them. I am sorry for the stupid questions but it is bothering me now. Thanks

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That is generally how I would describe mine. Always worth checking for cracks on the backs of the arms as they can be easily missed. I'm sure I've read somewhere that Lego themselves don't recommend removing the hands too often (or at all) - I'm guessing over time this causes structural weakness in the lower arm.

Condition is very much in the eye of the beholder and my personal worry is white pieces. Is it sun damage or the older, creamy white? I had an order earlier this year that wiped out my 2x4 bricks, but it wasn't until I had them all packed and side by side that I noticed the vast array of shade variations. Explained to the customer and luckily they were understanding and still went through with the order but it still bugs me.
  • Thanks Jay37 - I now check all the arms too - many torso are very good but then find hairline cracks in arms. I have I the past purchased new arms but tbh it was pointless as by the time I bought the arms it didn't leave very much profit!!

I agree one persons good might be another persons acceptable. I am sure most customers understand when items are listed as 'used' they are not going to be completely unmarked.

My bricks are nearly always classed as acceptable. It is impossible for me to know exactly what people expect so I err on the caution side and as you say I can pick up a blue brick and think its good then pick up another one only to find the first is discoloured - whites obviously being the worst culprit!
    I find most customers are understanding though :-)
  • Your post was so helpful! Yes,' if "acceptable" 'would be excellent- how great to have this to reference. am now looking at arms and the hands being able to attach without being loose,
    Looking to just put playable sets together...maybe not what others may want, but not a purist. Have many white and old grey that have gone through the cleaning (with Dawn in an OXO Salad spinner, with a final vinegar rinse and then set in a bin in the sun for a day or two to reclaim whatever original, with the hydrogen peroxide, including blues and old light gray to be spectacular, with the salad spinner to take the water away!)
    No hairline cracks so far, but great Jay37 to look for- Thank You!
  • I think it's best to err on the side of caution too. I've spent many a time checking over a piece wondering if a defect will pass as 'Good' or go into 'Acceptable', but usually if I'm in any doubt it goes as Acceptable. I have had an order where my feedback was along the lines of the piece looking 'as good as new' when it was sold as Acceptable, but again this comes down to personal judgment (maybe in the past they had received something that was more bitemarks than actual Lego!). In this instance it was definitely a case of under promising and over delivering, but I should stress for clarity that my Acceptable pieces do not all look 'as good as new'!!
  • Under Promise and Over Deliver! That is just such a previously "under"-used phrase- let us all be about this level of humility
  • Westie, you follow the criteria I do, if it helps at all - light play scratches are used/good - honestly, you can get them new out of the box like that from them banging around and scratching each other! :-) Big dings, deep scratches, etc., I move to acceptable and explain the damage. Discoloration (most of the time - a rare item I'll list as acceptable and note the damage) or chew marks I recycle and don't sell (chew marks at least are banned on BO if I recall correctly).

So much of this is really in the eye of the beholder though - all you can do is your best, and honestly, you have always sounded like a GREAT seller with really high integrity to me! If I was in your neck of the woods, you'd certainly be on my fave store list! :-)
  • Agreed, "under promise and over delivery" are words to live by!!! :-)
  • Huh, I could swear teeth marks were a no-no here, but it's not in the item conditions page (so color me "wrong", whatever color that is! <s>):

Item Conditions

Each item for sale on Brick Owl has an item condition. If you are wishing to purchase an item on Brick Owl and are wondering what the different conditions mean or if you are listing items for sale and want to know how to classify them, this is the section you have been looking for!
    Conditions
    New

Lego that is classed as New should have never been built or played with and is often taken directly from sealed Lego Sets. New items can contain some hairline scratches as Lego package parts all mixed in together but they should not have any major damage such as dents or chips. The items should ideally be as pristine and perfect as when they were first moulded and printed.
    New (Sealed)

A set that is sealed from the factory and has never been opened.
    New (Complete)

As above but no longer sealed. it should include all of the parts that came with the original set. Unless otherwise stated on the condition notes, this should also include everything the original set would have, including instructions, sticker sheets, box.
    New (Incomplete)

The parts are new, refer to the condition note on the item to see what items are included.

Used (Like New)

This condition is for used Lego, that has had a previous life, maybe being built or played with but that have been treated so well that they are in a similar condition to new parts. They may have hairline scratches but they should not have any major damage such as dents or chips.

Used (Good)

This Condition is for Used Lego, that has had a previous life, maybe being built or played with. These items may have some minor damage such as a few small scratches or dents.

Used (Acceptable)

This Condition is for Used Lego that has seen better times, they may have dents, chips or scratches and the colour may have faded. This condition is also used by default if a seller has imported their inventory from elsewhereand has not specified what condition their used parts are in.
    Used (Complete)

It should include all of the parts that came with the original set in used condition. Unless otherwise stated on the condition notes, this should also include everything the original set would have, including instructions, sticker sheets, box.
    Used (Incomplete)

The parts are used, refer to the condition note on the item to see what items are included.

For Sellers

Used parts may need to be washed as all Lego parts for sale should be clean. No Lego part bought at Brick Owl should ever arrive sticky or dirty. All Lego items sold on Brick Owl should not be so damaged that they loose their function and can no longer fit together with other Lego parts. When storing any condition of Lego you are advised to keep items as dust free as possible and away from strong odours.
  • Thank you Calibrick for your kind words - I do appreciate it. I do try my best and as I said so far no complaints with many customers returning.
    Thank you also for the list of item condition - very helpful indeed. :)
  • Jay37 I too have sold items as acceptable and the feedback came back that customer thought they were like new - but I too would rather err on the side of caution. I would prefer to have a customer really pleased with an item listed as acceptable then a customer disappointed with an item listed as good.
  • Your listings sound just fine! If you start getting more complaints than usual, then I would think about changing the condition. Honestly though, the customers here are great!

I started up my Brickowl store in January after having my BL store going good for about a year. I use bricksync to transfer my inventory. 99% of my used pieces are listed as "excellent condition" and bricksync took those and transferred them to Brickowl as "like-new". I had them like that until a month ago until I realized that they probably shouldn't be listed like that since they may have wear. During that 3-4 month period of my pieces listed as "like-new", I had not one complaint, and excellent reviews, while on BL, I had several people complain, even though my store page lists clearly the defects a piece could have.

All that to say this: Don't worry too much; the customers are awesome here. And don't let those few picky customers stress you out and make you worry and wonder if you're listing everything right. Been there, done that!
  • Thank you firestar - I will carry on as I am and if customers are getting better than they expected - well that's great - hopefully they will return (as many are doing) :)
  • Yep, I'd rather cheat myself a bit than cheat my customers. And like you said, if they get higher quality than they were expecting, they'll return!