A good read- get the popcorn

BrickLink is in melt-down again. Read the public access Forum. Can't seem to agree on anything and have resorted to vulgarity since the Memorial Day weekend. Even the Admin and volunteer staff...such a shame!

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've been following the horse thread. The Czech buyer makes a very valid point. Either BL doesn't provide the tools that sellers need, or BL allows sellers to be sloppy providing they make restitution later if a buyer complains (and there's not much evidence to suggest they really care either way). In all honesty I don't think BO is much better in terms of tools for adding inventory, but I think this site is better in that it doesn't allow sellers to engage in feedback blackmail, which tends to keep us all on our toes.

The VAT thread the other day was a real eye-opener. Almost nobody involved in the thread seemed to understand VAT yet everyone was openly talking about how they themselves did it - which in most cases was wrong or only partly right. Stems from the "doing it just as a hobby" thing I suppose.

BL's forum is kind of a special place. There are those who genuinely can be trusted to offer good advice, but also a fair few people who just like sticking their noses into everyone's business. I used to contribute when questions were raised about UK tax and EU consumer affairs, the two things I'm qualified to talk about, but dealing with those who offered wrong advice on these subjects, usually because they were themselves doing it wrong for whatever reason, became so excruciatingly annoying that it contributed to me leaving BL altogether. There were a couple of US sellers and 1 Belgian seller who used to constantly give out completely inappropriate advice, and because their advice was what the person asking wanted to hear, that's what they usually ended up going with.

BO's forum is an altogether different place. Sure, there are disagreements here but usually a question is asked or a suggestion made, then it's answered or debated and (almost always) put to bed without any bad blood. Long may it continue.
  • Such great Take Aways! and doesn't it all seem so unnecessary: if (because) there are eye differences in black horses (what a great pic shared by one- 3 horses, two entries---why not make a catalogue entry???) just say as much when buying (and selling) and go to other means for restitution, ...and if you are charging VAT when you don't need to be, yikes!, even in parts charges (which seems to be uniformly included for all) from other posts in recent months, shouldn't there be some way to resolve this? It is unfortunately just getting worse
  • Gads, they were even dropping F bombs in some of those posts, that's very much a shame. I'm not shy about language at all, but there are younger folks on these sites.

There was one productive idea within that way tooooooooooo long horse thread that I would love to see here on BO: an option to upload variation comparisons for those very-similar parts. The only reason I go to BL at all these days now is to look at the side-by-side variant comparison pics some kind souls have uploaded, e.g., some of the tires, etc.

And totally agree, this forum remains a terrific place! I cheerfully post ideas ranging from not-all-that-great to good enough to be accepted and no one has EVER flamed me for it here. I've had respectful POVs offered for factors I hadn't considered, which is absolutely fantastic - the best ideas come from when everyone contributes their experience and knowledge! :-)

I think I remember you from posting over at BL @Hoddie (I was svandensen and later calibrick over there) and of course from over here. You've always been sooooo helpful here (as well as other folks like Jay37, Graham - oh man, it's just waaaay too long a list!), especially to me when I first stood my shop up just over a year ago. Thank you for continuing to share your experience and knowledge with us - it really has and continues to make a positive difference!!!
  • I think it also goes to show how amazing this forum is when you also remember that we are all also competing against each other... yet when someone needs help... We are all there. This SPEAKS so much for the community here.
  • VERY well said, @Bricksofloki (along with a great user name! <s>)!
  • Yes I agree Bricksofloki - this forum is so friendly and helpful..It never ceases to amaze me just how helpful are seeing as we are in competition with each other. Long may Brick Owl reign :)
  • Wow just read the horse thread - so glad Brick Owl forum isn't like that - I would be too scared to post anything or ask for advice!!!
  • It's absolutely a blame for a page / business if an Admin kicks the customer with the sentence "When you find a better place to buy vintage Lego horses, please let us know!".

The Admin has just missed to add a direct advise: "Hey, use Brick Owl instead. Friendly community, good relationship, listen to users, good prices, good Admins, intuitive front-end, and many more. Try it out and close your account here at Bricklink - we do not need you any more." :-)
  • +1 for variant comparison pics across the catalog.
  • With regard to the variant comparison pictures, maybe someone would like to submit that as a suggestion. I would be interested to hear opinions on how that should be implemented. In the past we have accepted comparison images on the main uncolored item, but I was concerned the differing styles and inclusion of hand written labels didn't look very standardised
  • An alternate picture with both variants with a label on the type should suffice. Perhaps a note saying what the differences are would help.
  • I made a few of these for my store...
  • What if we coded a label format so that the submitter selects the affected variants (like the edit set inventory screen screen) and only uploads pics?
    That would force continuity and hopefully reuse existing code.
    Would have to then add another tab or some such for variant view, which is of course more work.
    Thoughts?
  • I agree, a separate tab on the uncoloured catalog entry, just for upload of variant pics (with no text). Then, some way of pointing buyers in the direction of these (maybe a popup) when they're available?
  • I've no answer to this but I do love the way - and make use of - Rebrickable to ascertain differences between variants.
    Just now I found an item in my store listed wrong and thanks to Rebrickable's very detailed comparisons I was able to correct it.
    Maybe take a leaf from there - work together.
  • Rebrickable is a great resource to just have an auxiliary inventory for both buyers and sellers. They do such a fantastic job in pointing us in the right direction of what we have on hand.
    A Separate adjunct to my original post: It only takes BrickLink about 8 days to implode over and over. Keep reading and know that the "cancel" may be self-inflicted because of a passionate response or pejorative term and this really is a great buyer or seller who wishes to present their "best self", a "regret post", or expletive albeit too late removed by Admin...There is always something new, by that, I mean, something old that is the bowels of the forum. For most issues that go on adnauseum , if there was a responsive, don't know what BL calls it, "Help Desk"..."Help Center" maybe, just maybe they would not be at each others' throats.
    FreeStorm, just saw you are here. Welcome!
  • ...never understood the Soap Opera obsession- wish I could stop reading but it is going further to the Dark Side.