Claiming from PO

Has anyone successfully claimed from PO for lost items sent abroad?? I don't know if they will refund me as I do not have a proof of purchase but I do have a proof of posting. Got a feeling I am going to loose out big time - why on earth didn't I insure the parcel myself? I am so angry with myself.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think if you have proof of posting it might be worth a try but I have never done it myself. I had an international order go missing but foolishly didn't ask for POP (learned my lesson though as I ask for every one now. Post office staff have got to know me and don't bother asking anymore - they do it automatically!) so didn't bother with a claim. They may have a number of hoops to jump through but even if it's not successful you will at least have a better understanding of the process.
  • Yes I always obtain a proof of posting - maybe not to bother claiming if its a small amount but at least I can show customer that their item has been posted. I blame myself for not asking for it to be insured but not had an order go missing before (well I did have 1 which turned up 3 months later). Yes had a quick look and they are certainly not making it easy especially as I do not have a receipt of purchase - feel I am being penalised twice grrr. I will have to notify BO too that order did not turn up just to warn other sellers.
  • I attempted a claim about a year ago, but as I mainly sell parts there's no way to prove the original purchase value in a way that's acceptable to Royal Mail. They wouldn't even refund the postage charged.
  • I made a successful claim last year for a small order that went astray.
    I only had proof of postage but I got £4 back which was just shy of my total costs/loss.
    I appreciate yours may be considerably more expensive but I believe with PoP you're covered up to £20.
  • Hello,
    I had a successful claim for an item lost in Saudi Arabia. I had proof of postage but no proof of purchase, I was only claiming for the postage and the cost of the goods. they refused to pay out as I didn't have proof of purchase BUT they asked for my profit percentage based on my last years tax returns and they ended up paying out more than I had originally requested.
    I have claimed 3 times in the past 10 years and every time I got paid out. I also had to make a claim to Hermes for damage and again no issues.

I think that sometimes it comes down to how you word your claim.
  • I recently claimed for a signed for package that was still showing as sat at the PO on tracking after 2 weeks.

I had a cheque in the post after less than a week for the full value of the order, plus the cost of the postage
  • Thank you all for your comments. There are all sorts of info they want and I would find it entirely unfair that because I cannot show a proof of purchase they may not refund me. They can see what customer has paid so I feel that should be enough - it is nothing to do with them how much you originally paid for item (well that's what I feel anyway) - but as I say fingers crossed. It will teach me to insure items in the future!! :'(