Sun faded or otherwise discoloured parts/ flat pneumatics

OK, I know its been covered a thousand times before, but what is the best way to recover old parts?
I got a (well) used vintage 8851 pneumatic excavator from Ebay. Possibly left displayed on a windowsill for a few years. Definate 'shadows' on the excavator arm parts where other parts hid them from the sun.
I washed all the parts, then left the greys out for a couple of days in 6% hydrogen peroxide in the Scottish sun. (not overcast... it WAS sunny!) Absolutely no change in the grey, and the shadows can still be seen.
I've read that a vinegar solution could work. Anyone tried?
If I cant restore the original colour, is painting the parts an option using Airfix model paints?

The other question is the pneumatic cylinders. There is not enough power to lift any of the rams when the model is built. I think the hoses are ok... but maybe loose on the cylinder inlets? Would cutting a few mm off the end allow a tighter seal?.
I also think someone has been a little too liberal with Vaseline to ease the rods and got it all over the main part of the cylinder.
There is 1 x 4cm length of hose missing, but replaced with a transparent tube from somewhere. Is Lego tubing a certain size or can it be sourced from other suppliers?

Apart from what has been mentioned - 100% complete model, but no box or book

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have successfully painted personal LEGO parts by using Tamiya flat primer, then airbrushing over it.
  • While hydrogen peroxide works very well for white parts, the result for gray and blue is not the best. However a glass cover when exposing it to the sun gives a better result than without covering it. Best way I found for blue and gray is putting it in the sun with a glass cover and WITHOUT hydrogen peroxid. But this takes very very long (old parts had something like brome in their plastic mixture, and the processus of yellowing due to the brome is reversible). I once had a very good result this way with blue, but it stayed outside in plain sun for almost the whole summer.
  • Been a while, thought I’d better respond.

So would putting the grey parts, in a glass container, on a sunny windowsill inside, for all summer, rotating the pieces frequently without hydro pero?
  • I never figured out how "sun burned" parts can be restored leaving them in the sun!

I've had mixed results with H2O2, but used much higher percent about 20%, has worked on all colors ive tried, but I find white parts go back with time.
    No H2O2 on trans parts as they react by changing shape.

In the end ive purchased the parts in better condition, unless they are super rare.