Second hand prices

Can you all tell me if this is a good deal?
Bucket wheel excavator for £120? 100% Complete with box and book.
I’m sorely tempted but do I really need it?
Is it as great a model as it’s made out to be?
What does the motor functions operate?
Can emmet fit in the operators cabin?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @cglittle,
    Brickpicker.com ports in ebay and BL sales histories which can help you see if you're at least paying on a par with what others have, if that helps! :-) I really like that site a lot, I've used them for years. They have a good forum too that gives others a heads-up of sales at various sites and locations, e.g., LEGO markdowns at Toys R Us (when they existed), Target, Amazon, etc.

Emmet should fit in the cabin assuming you're talking about 42055. :-)

I actually have this set (well, my husband does - I built it for him, along with a second set for the alternative ore processing build) and he LOVES it. It reminds him of where he was born and raised (West Virginia - lots of coal mines that he worked in when he was a late teen/early 20s before we met and he moved to Southern California).

It's a REALLY fun Technic build, in my humble opinion. You can view the motor functions on shop.LEGO.com (set 42055) - they all work well, I had zero probs with any of the features. The secondary build (if you want to buy two) is also super-cool, though there's a good hint I found online for that one where if you add the small tan 3/4 pins to the rotating bed you can evade the known issue of your "ore" (1x1 round bricks and 2x2 hemispheres) from falling out the side.

The US retail price remains $279.99 and we did pay full retail for both of ours - no idea what that is in pound and sterling. According to Brickpicker, the current average sales cost of 42055 from non-LEGO sources is for new 177.08 pounds, and used 149.22 pounds.

In fact, @Lawrence, have we considered investigating a relationship with them? They have thousands of dedicated users which would give us another outreach tool (they also link to the sites if memory serves). Another way to get our name out there!
  • Thanks @Calibrick , It sounds like a good build experience.
    It is 42055 im talking about... the big yellow monster!

The one im looking at is half the price of any I've seen online from amazon or ebay. Only been displayed apparently so shouldn't have any problems with missing parts.
    Only wish it was already dismantled so I would have the fun of building it.