Updating Your Brick Owl Inventory to Match Your BL Inventory Using BrickStore

In light of the recent change to the Import / Update feature, I thought I would share this technique for updating your Brick Owl inventory. Once you receive an order from on BrickLink, follow these steps. This process does not violate any Terms of Service and leaves Brick Owl completely clear of any tort.

Before you begin, make sure BrickStore is signed in to your BrickLink store and that the database is updated. Also, your BrickLink store has to be set to retain sold out lots in your stockroom for this to work.

1. In BrickStore, select File > Import > BrickLink Store Inventory.
2. Select File > Save As.
3. In the File name field, type update.bsx (or whatever you want to call the file).
4. In the Save as type list, select BrickStore XML Data (*.bsx).
5. On Brick Owl, navigate to My Store > Inventory > Import / Update.
6. In the File Type list, select BrickStore .bsx File (Import / Update).
7. Click Choose File.
8. Select the update.bsx file, and then click Open.
9. Click Upload.

This will update your BrickOwl inventory to mirror the matching lots in BrickLink. The file you are uploading is not in BrickLink format, so they have no claim over the structure (which belongs to BrickStore) or the data (which belongs to you).

Updating your BrickLink inventory to reflect BrickOwl orders is still a manual process unless we can get a feature to download our inventory in .bsx format.

Enoch

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Seems like the sort of thing you could write a batch file for, or a little 'wrapper app'.
  • This process does not violate any Terms of Service
    Are you sure about that?:

"Compatibility with third party applications: The TOS update should have no
    impact on third-party applications such as Brickstore who can continue to use
    our database as before. However, we will not allow the use of third party applications
    as a way to access Bricklink’s intellectual property for unauthorized use and
    take the necessary actions to curtail such use if we detect it."
  • Burden of proof lies on them for detection. Then tort claims for all! But seriously, documenting the process online publicly is a good way to turn yourself into a target. I've been syncing manually.

Brian
  • I'd like to see them sue individual users for downloading their own inventory data.
    It's potentially the sort of case that makes new law.

• The sync I would need is the other way - and then only if Lawrence quits
    I'd like to see them sue individual users for downloading their own inventory data.
    LoL, the media moguls can't use their might and money to stop it - a view "high profile" cases to scare the meek - the rest just carry on regardless.

… and we are talking International Law, across major borders, they can sue you in chinese courts - but what would they do when you don't show up?
    and the chances of a chinese company getting anywhere in a western court - with all the flagrant copyright violations "over there"… I "rest my case" :D
  • I'd like to see them sue individual users for downloading their own inventory data.
    More likely your account will be terminated on suspicion. Much easier to do but they still lose money either way.

Brian