BrickSync to solve this problem?

Hi everybody,
I have been using BrickSync for a few months now, for basically one reason: syncing inventory between BL and BO. It's (usually) running all the time.
To give the full picture: I use the blmaster on and blmaster off command to force a sync.

Today, I noticed that my BO inventory contains items that I have sold on BL a few weeks ago (when BS was already running). They are not in my BL inventory anymore, but still in the BO inventory. I would have expected a "blmaster on" followed by a "blmaster off" command would resolve the differences, but no success.

The other way around, it seems okay: items that were sold on BO seem to be gone in BL.

My question is three-fold:
1. Anybody has a suggestion for resolving this? I've gotten a bit scared by some posts about issuing some commands that ended up messing up all inventories...
2. Why woudn't blmaster on / blmaster off "trick" work?
2. Anybody would have an idea what might have caused this?

Cheers!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • (1) Stop using blmaster. Import inventory using BS and .bsx files.

(2) and (3) blmaster doesn't check that your BO inventory matches the BL inventory, it simply ensures any changes you've made on BL make their way onto BO. It's likely, given what you've said, that you have at some point inadvertently made changes on BL without correctly using blmaster, and thus they haven't been transferred across to BO.

(also 3) Be aware that BS ignores any lots that have the tilde character (~) in either of the note fields. If you use this symbol for any other reason, you'll need to find another solution.

The good news is that there's a quick fix. Providing you're sure your BL inventory is correct, you can use the sync command to update your BO inventory. This checks both your BO and BL inventories and ensures both match the master inventory file held by BS.

WARNING
    If you regularly update inventory on BL without first entering blmaster mode, and instead rely on quickly entering and leaving blmaster after doing your updates, this isn't correct usage and could well be the source of your problem. There was another thread on this recently.

Correct usage is:

(1) enter blmaster
    (2) make any changes on BL
    (3) leave blmaster

Any variation on this has the potential to mess up inventories held by BS, BO and BL.
  • Cool, thanks for the extended info. Will try it later and let you know.
    Indeed, I'm guilty on the charge "and instead rely on quickly entering and leaving blmaster after doing your updates" ... I promise to better my ways!
  • A quick update: I did the "verify brickowl" command first (since I just read in the manual it's a sync without the actual sync execution, just the verbose logging), and only some items that were ommitted. So no actions to remove.

So, thinking this was strange, I had a 2nd look. The items of which I thought were still in BO, are still in BO but with a "Qty (for sale) = 0"... I never noticed it!

So all is well!