BrickSync BL MASTER

I noticed, I forget at times to blmaster on before I edit brick-link yet when I just type it on and then off it still seams to work. why can't one always do it this way just edit what ever you want on brick link and then turn on then off blmaster for updates? Pitfalls of doing it this way vs turning it on while making edits? i also keep getting error can't add coral slopes, color code error. my guess is brickowl doesn't have the color coral in catalog, or in slopes?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't sell on BL so cannot help with the technical issues, but BO does have coral slopes; BOID 158788-173 if that's any help.
  • I noticed, I forget at times to blmaster on before I edit brick-link yet when I just type it on and then off it still seams to work. why can't one always do it this way just edit what ever you want on brick link and then turn on then off blmaster for updates? Pitfalls of doing it this way vs turning it on while making edits?
  • edited March 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I suppose doing it that way risks getting an order via BrickOwl that overwrites changes you've made in BrickLink. Turning blmaster on before you start updating your inventory will prevent this.
  • I've made changes w/out turning on blmaster. We are doing a full inventory count from top to bottom. We've moved everything into our virtual stockroom until the drawers are counted. The next morning when I logged on the items that I had updated by moving out of my "stockroom" and adjusting the #'s simply were no longer there. The items that were moved without changing their qty's were the only ones left. It was luckily only 1 day's worth of work, but we had gotten so much done. Had to re-inventory those items all over again.

Moral: If you do make adjustments don't go very long without turning blmaster on and off again.
    When you first use Bricksync it creates a local copy of your Bricklink inventory and makes this your master inventory. From this point on its sole job is to ensure that your inventories on both BrickOwl and BL match this master inventory. It does this by primarily updating the master inventory following receipt of an order, and then passing that update to the other site. On occasion, especially if it encounters an error or a discrepancy while updating something, Bricksync will run a deep sync, which checks the inventories held by the two sites, and it makes any necessary updates to ensure that they match the local master.

So, normally:

Local inventory = master
    BO inventory
    BL inventory

Entering blmaster temporarily changes this to:

Local inventory
    BO inventory
    BL inventory = master

On exiting blmaster, BS checks what updates you've made on BL and syncs those to both the local inventory and the BO inventory, then makes the local inventory the master again. At this point it then updates all three inventories to take account of any orders that came in during the period blmaster was active.

If you make changes at BL without first entering blmaster, any changes made will be reversed if BS initiates a deep sync for whatever reason.

Correct use of blmaster negates this risk entirely.
  • So if you wanted to, could you make your changes in the local inventory sheet using brickstock? Would it then update both sites immediately? Not sure why you'd WANT to do that, but just curious.
    I think that would work in theory but you would need to force a deep sync after each update. I once asked the same question and @stragus (the author) didn't recommend it. I think it would mess with the automated backups for one thing, but more importantly, you'd need to exit BS each time you wanted to update the file.
  • @Pretty_Pieces If you want to add inventory, you can use the "add" function with BrickStock, see "help" command. If you want to update prices, there is an "update" function. When doing it this way, changes will be synced to BO and BL immediately.
  • Not this topic, but if @stragus is around. The evalinv feature seems to have broken not long ago, as I used it a couple months ago. I wish I could use it again :-(
  • @brikomaniaES: I have already reported this issue to Stragus at the 3rd of March, both by email and by BL-message, but no response or solution so far. I also hope this issue will be fixed soon
  • I don't think stragus is working on bricksync much anymore. i wish it would get fixed, but I don't think it will, and can't fault him for it!
  • Just found out that If I forget to do blmaster after parting out items to BL, then I have a sale on BO of some of the parts that I already had in stock, the parts do not get updated from BL to BO and an error shows on the Bricksync log.

If I do a deep sync now will the stock list match up or do I just leave it so I dont create more issues.
  • If you check that your inventory's okay on BL, quickly entering and leaving blmaster should force BS to update your BO inventory to match BL's.