Paypal seller coverage question

Hi guys,
I shipped an order to a customer several months ago. I printed her label from Paypal. But I did not notice that her paypal addy and her brickowl ship to addy were different. I usually check, but missed it this time. (My bad). The confirmed address on her paypal account was her old address and she had not updated it. When I showed her an image of the ship to address, we figured out what had happened. Tenants at her old address claim to have marked package RTS, but it never made it's way back to me and we're now 4 months later. Canada post insurance will not refund, since they delivered to the marked address. I had the buyer file a Paypal claim against me, which Paypal says they have settled in my favor, but they also did not provide the customer a refund. Are they supposed to, since it went to the Paypal confirmed address? I thought my fees covered some kind of mishap insurance, aka seller/buyer protection, through Paypal? Am I wrong?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to suck it up and refund almost $50. Even though Paypal thinks I don't have to, I think it is the right thing to do. Do I have any other recourse?

Dawn
Pretty_Pieces

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You did what was required by you as a seller and posted to the registered address on paypal. in this case paypal has settled in your favour. (deep down you must know how rare this is)

It is part of paypal EULA that your address must be correct and updated. Your fees cover seller/buyer insurance but paypal will not pay out if they think either party has been in the wrong.

You have a choice to make, personally I would not refund a $50 order.

Regards
    david
  • Unfortunately, there technically may be a wrinkle here... BrickOwl terms of service (https://www.brickowl.com/terms) says, "Orders must be shipped to the shipping address on the order unless otherwise agreed with the customer." Since it's a BO order, the implication (but it does NOT state) is that this is the BO address. But... BO orders show BO shipping AND PayPal address, so... you can cheerfully argue both sides. ;-)

But this is why I check every BO order against their PayPal address, as sometimes they are different, and hold delivery until I can check with the customer - as I don't want to lose my PayPal seller protections (or their buyer protections, in fairness).

None of that helps right now obviously. This really is a personal decision - if this is a buyer who is active on BO and you're in a financial position to do so, I might seriously consider refunding them. In the US, we can write off refunds on our Schedule C filing also, so it at least limits the amount of taxable income from your store, if nothing else. You may even make it back in future business with them.

Speaking only for me, if this is def a no-kidding just "one of those things" situations (not a scammer), then I always try to put myself in the buyer's shoes, as I used to part out a LOT of sets and know how I appreciated being treated. If it were me, and I didn't notice the two addresses (since I was def aware this could come up - different for others who didn't such as you, obviously) I would def refund them since this is the cost of doing business (which I build into my profit margins for just this eventuality). But that's also just me - and my prices demonstrate that (I'm NOT the cheapest store on here by any stretch! <s>).
  • I was really really hoping that either Canada Post or Paypal, who both take a bite out of me to provide "Insurance/Protection" would come through. Thanks for your advice guys.

To clarify, I asked the buyer to file the Paypal claim, hoping that the seller protection would cover it, after jumping through the Canada Post hoops to try and get their insurance to cover it. When I reread my post I realized it might be interpreted that I'd left it unresolved.

I am reasonably certain the customer isn't scamming. I think we each made a mistake in this transaction. Though I am doubtful that the tenant at her old place really Returned to Sender it.

And whether or not the buyer is active, I'll still suck it up and send her a refund. Because customer service. Even when it's hard. Gah.

Dawn
    Pretty_Pieces
  • You sound like an amazing, ethical seller that I would def want to buy from, Dawn!!! So sorry their old place didn't return it - some people just plain suck. :-(
  • Well, maybe they really did RTS it, but it's lost in the bowels of Canada Post. It was during the strike.
    And I aspire to be an amazing, ethical seller when I grow up. ;)