Another money saving "trick" with USPS

edited October 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
If you haven't discovered this already, you will LOVE it!!

A while ago I mentioned the USPS gem - the Flat Rate Padded Envelope - using the "Print Postage" feature in PayPal it costs less than the Small Flat Rate Box.

The Small Flat Rate Box fits INSIDE the Padded Envelope! ;)

But it gets better!

There is another Priority (free) "Mailing Box" that fits in said envelope - and it is quite a bit bigger than the Small Flat Rate Box - I believe it is ID'd as 1096L

Dims are (Internal) 9.25x6.25x2 v's the "Small Box" at 8.625x5.375x1.625

I have used this and it works! :)

Graham

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just an FYI-that rate through paypal is for the regular flat rate envelope-NOT the flat rate padded mailer. The flat rate padded mailer is not available to print through regular paypal shipping(I hear E-Bays shipping through paypal is different, I do not use ebay so I can not verify).

I used to use the paypal flat rate envelope option for the padded mailers until I was shot down at the larger post office in my area(actually went through a horribly long process to add the small amount of postage to the package). Shortly after my regular post office told me they were not correct either. They do in fact indicate a difference on the label when you use the correct one. My regular post office never made a fuss about it, but mentioned they get placed on a report for all the errors that go through to the processing center. These have recently garnered higher scrutiny as, many of us apparantly use or have used the wrong rate through paypals shipping feature for quite a while. I am courteous enough to just print the correct label through USPS.com for $5.70 vs the $5.95 counter rate. I would hate for them to eliminate this option all together as the rate went up substantially this last time around and I was told it was a combination of the cost of the mailers(which we saw a change in earlier this year) and the wrong usage of labels on them.

My postage tip for the day:

I find that living in the Midwest the Regional Rate boxes(especially B) come in handy for often saving on shipping costs as long as it is within a state or two from me. Large part orders that can not fit in a padded mailer can be shipped reasonably with these. Especially base plates/fragile items etc. It is hard to predict when you can use them, but when able to are very handy.
  • Also, if they think you are using a Priority flat rate box inside another Priority flat rate envelope they can and will open it and refuse it. You used to be able to turn a priority box inside out and use it but they caught on to that to.

PP
  • Just use a different non-USPS box. I keep a handful around for larger orders.

Flat rate padded envelope can be printed from USPS.com. Their website is slightly more painful than Paypal.

Brian
  • What is this flat rate envelope you speak of?
  • Just an FYI-that rate through paypal is for the regular flat rate envelope-NOT the flat rate padded mailer. The flat rate padded mailer is not available to print through regular paypal shipping(I hear E-Bays shipping through paypal is different, I do not use ebay so I can not verify).

I used to use the paypal flat rate envelope option for the padded mailers until I was shot down at the larger post office in my area(actually went through a horribly long process to add the small amount of postage to the package). Shortly after my regular post office told me they were not correct either. They do in fact indicate a difference on the label when you use the correct one. My regular post office never made a fuss about it, but mentioned they get placed on a report for all the errors that go through to the processing center. These have recently garnered higher scrutiny as, many of us apparantly use or have used the wrong rate through paypals shipping feature for quite a while. I am courteous enough to just print the correct label through USPS.com for $5.70 vs the $5.95 counter rate. I would hate for them to eliminate this option all together as the rate went up substantially this last time around and I was told it was a combination of the cost of the mailers(which we saw a change in earlier this year) and the wrong usage of labels on them.

My postage tip for the day:

I find that living in the Midwest the Regional Rate boxes(especially B) come in handy for often saving on shipping costs as long as it is within a state or two from me. Large part orders that can not fit in a padded mailer can be shipped reasonably with these. Especially base plates/fragile items etc. It is hard to predict when you can use them, but when able to are very handy.
    OK me bad!!

I have been using both of these without question from the Post Office - is it down to the counter clerk or do they get rejected in route?

I've not had any come back yet.

@ Admin please delete my "tip" and this thread then

G