Anyone Sell A Color Palate?

So im getting started here and loving it so far. Got my first few orders shipped out and already feeling hooked. Only issue i am having is trying to figure out some of these colors. Does anyone sell a color palate? I was going to buy some 3001 in every color i could find and make my own but was wondering if anyone had already gone through the trouble and was selling them. I don't care what LEGO are used just need something with as many colors as possible.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's worth doing, especially to help out with grays and browns. I went for 2x4 plates (or combinations of smaller sizes to make up 2x4), but know that 3001s could work too. Obviously there are some fairly obscure colours out there that don't come in either a brick or a plate and you may choose to ignore them as far as reference is concerned. Took me a fair while to get mine together (and it's by no means complete), and I have them on a white 32x32 baseboard (a cheap non-Lego one. Sorry purists, just couldn't justify the expense of a legit one!) and it is useful and also in my opinion quite pretty. I've seen them at Lego displays too; builders like to show them off.
  • > @Jay37 said:
    > It's worth doing, especially to help out with grays and browns. I went for 2x4 plates (or combinations of smaller sizes to make up 2x4), but know that 3001s could work too. Obviously there are some fairly obscure colours out there that don't come in either a brick or a plate and you may choose to ignore them as far as reference is concerned. Took me a fair while to get mine together (and it's by no means complete), and I have them on a white 32x32 baseboard (a cheap non-Lego one. Sorry purists, just couldn't justify the expense of a legit one!) and it is useful and also in my opinion quite pretty. I've seen them at Lego displays too; builders like to show them off.

I assume just printing the color page isn't going to work haha. Wouldn't that be nice...
  • Ryan Howarter (Google him with 'Lego') has done some really exhaustive work in photographing all the different colours. I think they're on Flickr and definitely worth a look - you'll be surprised just how many are out there!
  • One issue I've encountered at viewing colors online vs. holding the color in my hands is the interpretation of RGB (red/green/blue) or hexidecimal colors by different video cards and monitors.

My husband asked me to create a color palette (probably on a baseplate, also) for him also to help with order pulling - I know lesser used colors such as Royal Blue when I see them, but he doesn't.

That was a question I've long had - which specific plate comes in the most colors? I'm sure there is no single one that comes in every color reasonably accessible (I'm not interested in modulex, for example) but which comes the closest? 1x4? (I'd certainly prefer 1x1)

I'm sure I could research this and figure it out, just wondering if anyone else has to save me (and @Bricksofloki (cool nick!) some time. :-)
  • Yes I agree that photos on a screen (or printed off) are no substitute for the actual part in hand. 2x4, 2x2, 1x4, 1x2 and 1x1 plates cover a fair number of the colours, although sometimes 1x3 or 2x3 are only available (which throws off the uniformity of my palette - curse you medium green and violet!). I discovered this morning that Coral is a new colour introduced in the Lego Movie 2 CMFs, so that's another one to add!
  • It does seem that 3001 comes in the most colors. Not all colors... just the most. I'd say this is also becouse this is their test mold also.
  • The 2x2 tile is the part that has been produced in most colours, as these form internal colour charts for TLG. Many of them are extremely hard to find because they've never been included in sets, but they do occasionally come up for sale.
  • I made mine using mostly 1x2 and 1x1 plates

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5709/30598911242_25963c0c17_b.jpg
  • I am starting to make my own colour palette too - predominately for the greys - they are so confusing. Plates and bricks for me too
  • > @elspanky said:
    > I made mine using mostly 1x2 and 1x1 plates
    >
    > https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5709/30598911242_25963c0c17_b.jpg

Awesome job! Never even occurred to me to use tiles with stickers to help with identification. I toyed with grouping mine into colours (all blues together, all grays together, etc) but in the end settled for alphabetical based on BO naming conventions (Black-Yellowish Green). This has the advantage that problematic colours are usually not close to each other, so Brown is nowhere close to Reddish Brown, Aqua is away from Light Aqua and thank heavens Maersk Blue is not next to Sky Blue (they are, in my opinion, probably the most subtle of differences!). Luckily as time has gone on I don't need to refer to it quite as much, but still find it very useful.
  • > @WESTIEKATH said:
    > I am starting to make my own colour palette too - predominately for the greys - they are so confusing. Plates and bricks for me too

Blues... blues get me every time.
  • My old eyes do not do well with light gray vs. medium stone gray (aka light bluish gray) when you look at the plastics used for axles, and sometimes pins... it's those plastic variations where the stone gray has just enough brown to look like light gray in the wrong light, sigh. Usually plates and bricks I can tell 0 problem, right every time.
  • Try being slightly gray color blind. The struggle is real
  • @elspanky I can't imagine... I'm so sorry to hear that! :-(
  • > @elspanky said:
    > Try being slightly gray color blind. The struggle is real

Sorry elspanky - that must be really hard. Good for you that you manage it !!