Enhancing the catalogue, help and clarification wanted!

I would like to spend more time to enhance the catalogue of BO. In the past I did many edits to the BrickLink catalogue but I'm no longer welcome there.
Having said this, there are many items in the BO catalogue that really need work.

For instance, today I received an order for a "LEGO White Brick 1 x 10 with Decoration (13483)".
The picture for this item shows that it was a 1x10 brick with the month 'November' displayed on one side of it. Only when you go to item details you will find out the details: https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-white-brick-1-x-10-with-decoration-13483#edit-detail
On BL this item has the name "LegoBrick 1 x 10 with Dark Purple 'November' and 'December' Pattern on Opposite Sides"

Long story short: can I edit this item and change the name to the same name on BL, which is accurately descriptive?
Question 2: Is BL copyright holder on the names of the parts in their catalogue?

I would like to have clear rules or guidelines about this and similar parts (mainly parts with printed decoration).

greetings! Martin

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As far as I know, BL does not hold a copyright on the names, as its all entered by volunteers, and many are the same as on Lego/Peeron etc.

I agree clear rules and guidelines are needed on catalog entries, the current guidelines say something along the lines of name them in a similar fashion to other items, but when there are 2 items with different names, how are supposed to decide which is correct.

I would go ahead and name it how you think is best, admin will let you know if its not right when they approve/deny it.
  • From my experience in catalog entry here Lawrence does not appreciate the full details of the naming conventions of BL. ie. Firefighter is fine even if it does not distinguish it from another firefighter. In the case mentioned above he would be absolutely fine with the BL name. Keep in mind that the LEGO doesn't not need to appear as it gets put in automatically.
  • I've found short and sweet works best. I try to think about what is the most important aspect of the description and what is someone likely to be searching for. In your example I would have thought 'November' and 'December' are what people are looking for; the colour is, I would argue, a secondary feature.
  • My two cents: this is one of those topics that will have a lot of opinions, so here's mine, lol: I know I've learned on here (the long way) that the optimal approach (to getting approved) is keeping it reasonably short and to try to be original (i.e., do not copy other sites - it's respectful of our peers who've worked on other catalogs, if nothing else <s>).

So for the above example, I'd personally submit a name edit of "LEGO White Brick 1 x 10 with November/December Decoration", which I'm pretty sure would be accepted.

if there were variants, such as different colors of print of the same sticker/decoration, I'd just add a color, e.g., "LEGO White Brick 1 x 10 with Purple November/December Decoration" (most of that is default, I'm just adding "Purple November/December". I'd leave the color off if its a one of a kind - shorter is better on this site due to the lovely tiled displays. :-)
  • As the members have helpfully commented above, I'd probably submit a decoration description of
    "November" / "December"

But other variants on that would be fine. Just please not "Dark Purple with Thin Font November and December with Pretty Patterns and Stars and Flowers"
  • Lolol @Lawrence is probably referring to one of my original submissions when I first started here. :))
  • Hey Leftoverbricks,
    welcome to the good side of bricks.
    I have also started to add / revise a lot of parts here at Brick Owl. You receive here a lot of "thank you" and support and feedback. On Bricklink - unfortunately - you receive only a big bag of ignorance.

When I revise a part name I also take a look to the BL name and in the most cases I change it a little bit. There are often many information which are not really necessary - who will search for 6 silver bolts when the image shows other bigger elements? And what is also helpful if you add then the link to the BL-ID. This helps BO that the parts are also uploaded here with the BrickSync tool.

And I guess if you have any technical questions, just contact the forum or Lawrence. Lawrence is always very patient and helpful.

Regards,
    Oliver.
  • Thanks to all! Your comments are really helpful.