Shipping questions

I’m pretty new to selling. I’m in US and currently only selling to US. I would like to expand to other countries but am having trouble finding information. how do I know how much to charge for shipping? I’ve never shipped anything internationally. I saw you have to fill out a customs form, is there anything else I need to know that is different? Do you package bricks any differently? Are there countries you don’t ship to/ why?
Thank you!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you go to https://pe.usps.com/PriceChange/Index, you can see all of the new rates going into effect Sunday (1/27) if you ship using USPS. :-) If you ship via PayPal, you can use the Commerical Base rates. If you go retail, use the retail rates. You can set weight and size parameters (which you will need to) in BO under the shipping settings tab as a seller.

You do have to fill out a customs form, which when I use PayPal, embeds all that info right with the postage - so you print it out, cut it to size, and put it in the clear USPS international postage holder.

The only difference in overseas vs. US packing for me is that I have to use a larger bubble mailer to accomodate the required combine USPS customs form/postage that I print.

I determined my original list of countries based on a lot of USPS research, making a personal choice to ship nowhere that is fully sanctioned (not individuals, but rather the country) and nowhere I cannot track the shipment. That made my order possibilities more limited, but it was just something I felt good about. Some countries have different rules, e.g., I think Brazil allows NO foreign shipments to PO boxes. It really just takes research, determining what you are comfortable with, and then going for it. You can find a lot of good information on USPS.com, including the international shipping guide on there for businesses. There ARE size limits, also (and weight limits of 4 pounds for say international first class shipping).