Color "issue" please consider changing

What BL called "Neon Orange" appears to be listed here as "Transparent Reddish Orange"

having spent a good while trying to figure what's what in "Flames"

Would you PLEASE consider changing the name to "Transparent Fluorescent Orange"

Those "Neon" colors would all benefit from being termed "Fluorescent" (which they are actually)

Ta G

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've added the word "neon" in there, that was an omission. Although "Fluorescent" would be closer to the Lego term, I feel "neon" is easier to understand.
  • Technically they're neither as they do not contain the gasses being discussed. :-B
  • edited October 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Brian,

Gas plural? Where is Fluor(?) on the periodic table? ;)

I would suggest looking again. Think more like having the resemblance of what fluorite exhibits under certain wavelengths of EMR.

I think fluorescent is perfect, but have no real issue with neon.
  • Side note Brian,

I took that 1 of 16 personality type tests after you mentioned yours. Fitting for why you responded in the first place. :)

I came out INTJ if it gives context, very interesting in general as I had never seen that stuff before.

Joe
  • My fault. My memory of high school chemistry is slowly failing. Somehow I had it stuck in my head that fluorescence was caused by vaporized fluoride. Good for your teeth AND emits light! According to The Great Wiki, fluorescence is caused by objects directly emitting their own light after absorbing UV radiation. So technically fluorescent is still incorrect. It would be better applied to the glow in the dark items; which TLG attributes to phosphor...

Your type is very rare. The only difference between us is that you prefer structure whereas I do not.

Brian
  • Brian,

Take a look again and compare reflection and emission. :)

Joe
  • @DagsBricks I have taken the test a few times for college over the past 2 years. I did not know INTJ was rare? This is what I am and yes, I am very structured. I suppose the military did this?

As for the color, my opinion is to pick one and stick to it. Neon, florescent, Trans reddish orange, all the same to me as long as one gets picked and becomes the standard

Chris
  • edited October 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    That was not the best way, both "emitting". Lets try without short form.

The time between absorption and emission of the radiation I believe is what distinguishes between the two. Fluorescence and Phosphorescence

The first more of a reflection, the second an absorption released over a period of time.

Due to the parts in question not having lasting effect, the proper term is fluorescence. Just like a fluorite mineral crystal can fluoresce under UV light, the origin of the word.

• I did not know INTJ was rare? This is what I am and yes, I am very structured. I suppose the military did this?
    Or possibly was good for your personality type. I've decided that I would hate the strict regimen.

Regarding the science of colors, my intP who could care less about structure is throwing it's hands in the air and saying, "whateverz!".

So is the moon fluorescent? :))

Brian
  • Ok going to get out my Black Light ~~
  • Actually the debate is exactly why I feel Fluorescent is a better term than Neon.

Fluorescence, being the way something looks (under certain circumstance) whilst Neon would suggest a light source...

AND to "get around" the issue the Orange version has become a tad Loooooonnngg!!

IMMHO!
  • Day-Glo(R)(TM) probably isn't correct either.

"Neon" is colloquially adequate, at least in the US.
  • I've always thought of these as transparent versus translucent.. if you look at the 2 trans-orange colours that distinction separates them reasonably well. I've got used to them being called neon but always struggled with trans neon green which to me looks more like yellow but whatever is agreed as long as it is consistent for all the "neon" colours.
    Robert