Bad shipping policy - here’s why

@Lawrence

Concerning conflicting shipping address on BrickOwl vs PayPal.

This is not the first time, customer puts wrong zip code on BrickOwl, which is why I always ship to the address provided by PayPal, Unless customer has provided a written request otherwise.

If I had overridden “ship to” address. Customer at best would have experienced a delayed delivery.

Other sites, including BL, pull the shipping address provided to PayPal by account owner, that way a discrepancy is highly unlikely and PayPal confirm the address as “good”

I strongly recommend you adopt this protocol instead of “making sure you ship to address provided by BrickOwl”

Graham

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BL pulls the shipping address from PayPal? I thought you can enter anything in your address field. Wonder what I'm missing?

I also noticed people misspelling their own address by the way, I don't know what's up with that. It seems to me that on Brickowl there are generally more clumsy or odd members than elsewhere, though I wouldn't know why. Maybe because this site is more userfriendly and easier to use :D
  • I've brought this up before and was shot down.
  • While I always ship to the PayPal address (as I also print postage via PayPal) unless the buyer's BO shipping address is drastically different (in which case, they are sending as a gift or have moved and not since updated PayPal), in which case I check with them to be safe.

While I always prefer and try very hard to ship to the PayPal address as that allows buyer and seller Paypal protections, I don't think we can force a customer to default to a specific address entered *outside* of this system (i.e., via PayPal). Surely there's some kind of legal issue there I would think?

I've run into the typos in BO addresses (even people's names <s>) also, but I always catch those before I print the postage when I'm double checking I chose the right shipping method for the customer - usually it's pretty easy to figure out and fix the issue without even bothering the customer. I do let them know when I send them the tracking number email, though (that there is a zip code typo, etc.) so they can resolve it offline.
  • as to the mistakes in address it may be we are all oaps not used to the tec :)
  • > @Graham said:
    > Other sites, including BL, pull the shipping address provided to PayPal by account owner, that way a discrepancy is highly unlikely and PayPal confirm the address as “good”

Can someone explain this to me? It sounds useful but I've never heard about it, to me BL and BO are exactly the same, just an address field in the profile.
  • > @Teup said:
    > > @Graham said:
    > > Other sites, including BL, pull the shipping address provided to PayPal by account owner, that way a discrepancy is highly unlikely and PayPal confirm the address as “good”
    >
    > Can someone explain this to me? It sounds useful but I've never heard about it, to me BL and BO are exactly the same, just an address field in the profile.
    >
    >

My BL orders, using instant check out are automatically addressed to my paypal (physical) address, my BL address is a PO Box.
    I can’t think of an online order placed anywhere that doesn’t do that if PayPal is selected, at least these days
  • > @Graham said:
    > > @Teup said:
    > > > @Graham said:
    > > > Other sites, including BL, pull the shipping address provided to PayPal by account owner, that way a discrepancy is highly unlikely and PayPal confirm the address as “good”
    > >
    > > Can someone explain this to me? It sounds useful but I've never heard about it, to me BL and BO are exactly the same, just an address field in the profile.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > My BL orders, using instant check out are automatically addressed to my paypal (physical) address, my BL address is a PO Box.
    > I can’t think of an online order placed anywhere that doesn’t do that if PayPal is selected, at least these days

I'm confused, I think I have exactly the opposite experience. I get these payment messages from BO but not from BL. Either way, I don't use them and I don't copy any addresses from them.. I just refer to the payment status and the shipping address provided on BL/BO..
  • I don't understand this "must ship to address provided by BO" thing. Why is that a must? What technical reason? Or is it actually a "pride" thing? Is shipping to address on PayPal a "not invented here" issue? Sometimes I just wonder...
  • > @bricksinbins said:
    > I don't understand this "must ship to address provided by BO" thing. Why is that a must? What technical reason? Or is it actually a "pride" thing? Is shipping to address on PayPal a "not invented here" issue? Sometimes I just wonder...
    >

It's the address the customer literally entered as the "ship to" address. Wouldn't you be surprised if in a webshop you enter an address to have your order shipped to and then they proceed to ship to another address? :)
  • @Teup. Fair enough. But that leaves us with the current situation where PayPal demands one thing that we have to abide by to have any chance of seller protection and this site demands another.

Although, the PP terms are so strict that they can deny protection in most cases if they want to. For me personally it's not possible to fulfill all of PP's protection terms most of the time anyway so I ship to whatever address the buyer states.
  • > @bricksinbins said:
    > @Teup. Fair enough. But that leaves us with the current situation where PayPal demands one thing that we have to abide by to have any chance of seller protection and this site demands another.
    >
    > Although, the PP terms are so strict that they can deny protection in most cases if they want to. For me personally it's not possible to fulfill all of PP's protection terms most of the time anyway so I ship to whatever address the buyer states.
    >

Same here. PayPal is never on my side anyway, since they tend to put the buyer first, as buyers are the ones who choose for PayPal whereas sellers are stuck with it. So I send to any address provided, and it doesn't usually get me into trouble. I agree though that it leaves little space for those who do wish to ship only when the addresses match.