shipping to mexico

can i get some advice from you lovely people

i sent a package to mexico, tracked and signed from the UK which is meant to take 5-7 working days ..

the package was sent on the 20 november, and showed up in the mexico postal service on the 10th December, and now showing as in transit

the customer is now wanting to cancel the order as it took longer than it should ( I said 5-7 working days, using the royal mail own guidelines ), checking as to why it could take so long I reviewed prohibited goods list for mexico and it seems toys, accessories are on said list.

should I refund as I didn't check the prohibited list; wait to be told the parcel is destroyed or on the way back. I'm in a bit of a quandry, It won't break the bank to refund but I can't be held responsible for the postal service or a customer who orders something which is on the prohibited list.

tia

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wouldn't be at all surprised if it took 5 days to get to Mexico, then spent 3 weeks in customs.

I've had a few orders to USA do that.
  • Ditto what White Horse said, I would give it a bit more time... customs can sit on stuff for a long time, regardless of which country it is. I think in your case though, it DID get to Mexico... have you tried contacting that postal service since you DO have a tracking ID they can follow up on? I have no idea how good they are, but that may be an avenue to explore.

*Used* toys are on Mexico's prohibited list though? I don't recall seeing that last April (when I researched that kind of info for every country that I'll ship to).
  • edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Lego is part of tariff code 950300(35) which Mexico limits by quotas, otherwise there are no restrictions. I have no experience of Mexican customs or regulations but quotas almost always only apply to importers looking to supply the domestic market, usually as part of anti-dumping regulations (i.e. other countries trying to under-cut domestic produce). Retail packages sent from abroad via regular post should get through, albeit after a delay in customs.
  • thanks @hoddie. @Calibrick, I feel a little better about the delays, and as for prohibited list, i think i need to start reading a little more on this. hopefully the order will get there successfully. thanks again.