Consistent (between sessions) perfect photo white balance ?

No matter how hard I try, my white balance is always slightly more warm or cool. It is not really that bad, but I want these pics to be perfect. Is there a way to ensure it gets fixed at the time the picture is taken. My camera does adjust white balance but it never is the same. Is there a device that can measure this. I got a gray card but don't know how to use it. I am talking about very minor differences again - this is way beyond just set it to tungsten or daylight, or set the white balance to auto. I need a scientific solution for perfection.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • On some cameras, you can set the white balance by taking a picture of a white surface, like a sheet of paper, see if there's anything in the manual about that.
  • Or once you have an example that worked for your particular lighting, check the numerical value of the white balance and then manually set that every time. This assumes your camera has a manual WB.
  • Or once you have an example that worked for your particular lighting, check the numerical value of the white balance and then manually set that every time. This assumes your camera has a manual WB.
    Good point.

@plaidbear What kind of camera are you using?

Enoch
  • the s95 has a custom WB setting so you should be able to look up the color temperature of a photo that worked well under your conditions and then just set that value under custom WB. Of course, the light, distance, etc. should be the same for you to obtain the same result. I'm no expert but maybe the exposure should be the same as well.