orders

i know im going to get stick over this but why do shops have min orders ? when it seems to me to be counter productive , i have brought from many stores and have come across it many times but when you just need that odd quids worth but have to spend 2.00 or 3.00 plus the postage just puts me off from buying from them
any how thanks for all i have brought see you next year
phill

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You are preaching to the choir with me (I have no minimum order setting, but I'm also in the US, which doesn't help you at all based on my shipping costs).

I'm sure there are really good business reasons though for those that do this, e.g., what is their time worth when making only a penny profit (as an example)? They have admin time to process the order, package it, print the label, do any off-site updates if they maintain offline sales lists, etc.

Have a great holiday season, Phill!
  • yep i do get it and know each shop runs a diff way guess its just the messing about having to get stuff you dont need and have ordered from the states though was given free postage :)and thanks seasons greetings to you and yours
    and to all sellers
    phill
  • I can only speak personally, but my $1 minimum buy is in place as PayPal will always take $0.30 plus 2.9%. Now if someone buys 1 item at $0.10 that means im actually paying more in fees than im getting.
  • > @vegitt said:
    > I can only speak personally, but my $1 minimum buy is in place as PayPal will always take $0.30 plus 2.9%. Now if someone buys 1 item at $0.10 that means im actually paying more in fees than im getting.

Why don't you set up a microtransaction account with Paypal?

Not sure what the exact values in $ are, but in the UK the fees are £0.05 + 5%, so any order under £9 you save on fees.

You can set up BO so it invoices orders over that value to one Paypal account, and orders under that value to the other.
  • I have a small minimum order,, purely to help ensure costs are covered, it's as simple as that Not just about PayPal fees but bubble mailers, baggies, labels,, printing, etc. Some stores on BL actually add individual fees for all these things, I just prefer to use a minimum order value.
  • > @"White Horse Bricks" said:
    > > @vegitt said:
    > > I can only speak personally, but my $1 minimum buy is in place as PayPal will always take $0.30 plus 2.9%. Now if someone buys 1 item at $0.10 that means im actually paying more in fees than im getting.
    >
    > Why don't you set up a microtransaction account with Paypal?
    >
    > Not sure what the exact values in $ are, but in the UK the fees are £0.05 + 5%, so any order under £9 you save on fees.
    >
    > You can set up BO so it invoices orders over that value to one Paypal account, and orders under that value to the other.

I have a minimum order too but purely for the same reason vegitt says paypal fees!! How do you set up a microtransaction on paypal - have to say I have never heard of this. I would love to take off the minimum order value.
  • Just saw that someone else posted same question!! Will phone paypal tomorrow
  • edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I vary between no minimum order and a substantial minimum order.

If I have no minimum order I have a higher profit rate on the parts (because of handling fee amongst other factors) but I sacrifice time.
    If I have a substantial minimum order I tend to end up selling off large lots at a lower profit rate but it's quick and easy so I win time.

In the end for me it comes down to what I want to spend in order to get revenue: Pumping out my stock, or sitting at my desk writing alot of customer service messages and doing administration.

I prefer to not have a minimum order. I agree it often is not necessary: Sellers should just charge an appropriate shipping&handling fee so that those orders are a good deal to them. PayPal fees are not an argument. And then buyers can decide for themselves whether that deal is acceptable or not - rather than whiping it off the table from the getgo. But there are times when I have alot on my plate and alot of work projects outside the shop but still need the extra income, so then the minimum order for me is the middle way between being fully open and fully closed.
  • thanks for the info i guessed as much would not expect sellers to sell at a loss, guess should keep me thoughts to me self gl to all
  • Oh gosh no, Phill, why would you keep your thoughts to yourself? It was a very valid question. This was an interesting (and as always here, friendly <s>) discussion! :-)

Happy holidays to you and all here!

R,
    Sandy