Imperial vs metric “issue” in shipping methods

How do I set everything to imperial in add shipping method?
Seems it’s only in metric, for “dimensions limit” “volume limit” and “total dimension limit”
store shows as “prefer imperial system” everything else is imperial

Thanks

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited November 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It looks like this is something that we will need to address in the future
  • @ Lawrence
    How soon?
    I don’t know if I’ve entered it correctly, seems like a huge number!
    I get 28316846 cubic mm for 1 cubic foot
    Allowing 10% packaging gives 25485162
    The number is too long to fit in the box, I can only see six digits, so don’t know if it’s even entered correctly!
  • edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    > @Graham said:
    > @ Lawrence
    > How soon?
    > I don’t know if I’ve entered it correctly, seems like a huge number!
    > I get 28316846 cubic mm for 1 cubic foot
    > Allowing 10% packaging gives 25485162
    > The number is too long to fit in the box, I can only see six digits, so don’t know if it’s even entered correctly!
    >

That looks about right.

30.000.000mm3 = 30.000 cm3 = 30 dm3 = 30 liters.

A cubic foot (sounds more like medical condition than a measurement :D ) is close to that, as it holds just about 3 x 3 x 3 = 27 liters.

I think you could also just specify the 3 max dimensions of each 1ft (in mm). That way, you specify a cubic foot as a "test container" to see if the order fits. Every order that has the volume of a cubic foot or under will qualify, except those that contain items that by themselves are larger than 1ft in one of their dimensions, but those are pretty rare.
  • @Teup
    I left England before the eu imposed metricism ? and grew up with pounds, shillings and pence...

Problem 1. I don’t know what figure is in the total volume box because I can only see 6 digits.

Problem 2. A large number of sets have a dimension greater than 1 foot

It would be very beneficial for US sellers to be able to use the imperial system throughout the site.

Unconnected with the above, during a visit a while back I had need to visit a builders yard, boy has the metric system wreaked havoc, they have wood in lengths of 10 metric feet, actually 9’9” (30000 mm) and all plywood panels are still 4’ x 8’ (in mm of course)?
  • I've now increased the size of that box, thank you for reporting that
  • edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I think mm3 is an awkward measurement in general, at least I have never encountered it. One liter (one milk carton) is already no less than 1.000.000 mm3 which is hardly legible, while if it would have been cm3 or mililiter (it's the same) it would have already been just 1000. I would suggest changing the unit to cm3/ml or dl.
  • > @Teup said:
    > I think mm3 is an awkward measurement in general, at least I have never encountered it. One liter (one milk carton) is already no less than 1.000.000 mm3 which is hardly legible, while if it would have been cm3 or mililiter (it's the same) it would have already been just 1000. I would suggest changing the unit to cm3/ml or dl.
    >

cm3 would definitely be better, but please no ml or dl
  • It could just say "cm3 (ml)" :)
    I don't expect there are postage services out there that actually define their volumes in mm3..