When you "know" someone is scamming but you don't "know"...

What if you had a buyer
-who is new and only speaks Portuguese and says he doesn't understand the site
-who claims he miswrote his address in his profile and sends his correct one but doesn't update it on BO for another week
-who asks for your whatsapp and if you will sell outside of BrickOwl
-who asks that a bit more after you refuse
-who seems very interested in when a small order will arrive and asks twice about tracking
-who learns there is no tracking and then places another more valuable order JUST under the limit for tracked shipping
-who then claims both orders did not arrive
-when you cannot recall a single order out of thousands of that shipping method that did not arrive

What would you do? Well, I can actually imagine the first order indeed did not arrive because the address could have been wrong, so that makes the notion of both orders lost a bit less of an extreme coincidence than it would be if the address was correct.... but still, I just know something is wrong, but would you just go ahead and refund both orders? :S

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sounds a bit suspect tbh, report it to Lawrence mabye and then
    Let us know the username so we can all block them.... ?
  • Yes Teup agree with Spohie tell Lawrence and let us know who it is.
  • Yeah, I agree with you guys, so that's what I did and thankfully Lawrence always replies. But seems he has no pattern of these things going on outside of my shop (yet), so it's hard to know what to make of it. Anyone, if you have someone from Brazil with no/low feedback and this sounds familiar, you've been warned...
  • @Teup and others: Brazil might be something special. Some years ago (i don't know if it's still the case) it was not allowed to send USED toys or toy parts. So, if the custom declaration slip or the obligatory invoice outside mentions 'used' there might be problems (hold back by customs or destroyed).
  • Indeed, I remember out of the "problematic shipping" countries, notable ones were Italy and Brazil, that was 4 years ago, not sure now... and mostly urban legend probably
  • I always ship with tracking to those two countries, and would recommend it. Never lost a tracked package.
  • I avoid this altogether by only shipping to countries that offer tracking in combination with our USPS. That gives me a weird list of countries and can ship to and others I don't, but it's kept things problem free!
  • I've shipped to Italy without issues, but our local PO advised to put a customs declaration on it stating goods and price, to help it along. Even though we dont need to do it for other EU destinations.
  • @Teup Tip: If a buyer changes his/her address details *after* the order was submitted, it won't update at all in existing orders, only in the next order the buyer makes (either in your store, either in another store).
  • When it comes down to Italy, I frequently ship there without tracking, never had a major problem in the 10 years I've been selling Lego online, must say I almost do not accept Paypal payments anymore from Italy, only IBAN. I honestly do not think there is a problem with Italian post, it's rather a mentality problem from some rotten apples (which you can find about everywhere) who abuse Paypal as being an 'insurance' (reason I enforce IBAN for most Italian orders).

Brasil is another matter, lot's of corruption and theft (known facts), most Brasilian buyers will check out by selecting tracking themselves (I guess they know what's best for them). But I have also shipped without tracking, without any problems. It's a gamble for both buyer and seller I suppose, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Which doesn't exclude a potential rotten apple offcourse who will see Paypal as the 'insurance' in stead of paying for it.
  • How is using PayPal's Buyer Protection abuse?
  • > @Hoddie said:
    > How is using PayPal's Buyer Protection abuse?

If you know someone is posting without tracking, you just put a claim in to Paypal, keep the goods and get your money back.
  • > @"White Horse Bricks" said:
    > If you know someone is posting without tracking, you just put a claim in to Paypal, keep the goods and get your money back.

If you believe a claim to be fraudulent, notify the authorities. Otherwise ask the post office for compensation.
  • > @robernat said:
    > When it comes down to Italy, I frequently ship there without tracking, never had a major problem in the 10 years I've been selling Lego online, must say I almost do not accept Paypal payments anymore from Italy, only IBAN. I honestly do not think there is a problem with Italian post, it's rather a mentality problem from some rotten apples (which you can find about everywhere) who abuse Paypal as being an 'insurance' (reason I enforce IBAN for most Italian orders).

I think that in my experience it really was the Italian post, but hard to be sure. Why only IBAN though? If a buyer reports they did not receive the order you'll need to refund, either PayPal or IBAN. Seems to me it doesn't matter.

> @Hoddie said:
    > > @"White Horse Bricks" said:
    > > If you know someone is posting without tracking, you just put a claim in to Paypal, keep the goods and get your money back.
    >
    > If you believe a claim to be fraudulent, notify the authorities. Otherwise ask the post office for compensation.
    >

I don't know about elsewhere but the Dutch postal service will never pay compensation, not even when the order is tracked, so it's pointless to ask.
    When someone claims something didn't arrive and there was no tracking, I think just paying up is pretty much all you can do.
  • > @Teup said:
    > I think that in my experience it really was the Italian post, but hard to be sure. Why only IBAN though? If a buyer reports they did not receive the order you'll need to refund, either PayPal or IBAN. Seems to me it doesn't matter.

It shouldn't matter, but some sellers believe their responsibility ends the minute the package is handed over the post office, and buyers using IBAN are allowing them the luxury to say "sorry pal, not my fault." PayPal, as they know, doesn't give them that option.

> I don't know about elsewhere but the Dutch postal service will never pay compensation, not even when the order is tracked, so it's pointless to ask.
    > When someone claims something didn't arrive and there was no tracking, I think just paying up is pretty much all you can do.

I find that hard to believe. They're providing a service which means a contract is in place - if they don't uphold that contract they are liable, in law, for putting you back into the position you were in prior to using their service. The only defence would be if you chose a wholly unsuitable delivery method, such as standard post for €300 worth of goods. Even 'uninsured' services should come with basic insurance - in the UK it's up to £20 I believe.

Most of the problems are firmly the fault of sellers. Using cheap shipping options to tempt buyers in, then trying to avoid legal responsibility if things go wrong. Worse still, some sellers will place the blame at the feet of the buyer for 'not asking for insurance' (more on BL than here to be fair). If sellers used appropriate shipping options, extra insurance when necessary, and a bit of common sense, most problems can be avoided before they happen.

If you want to offer the cheapest shipping options to everyone, fair enough, that's a business decision, but accept that you're presenting yourself as a tempting target to the con artists out there.
  • Well said, Hoddie! These are all business decisions. I only ship via PayPal with tracking in order to leverage seller protection. As a bonus, shipping is cheaper using their commercial rates, etc.

While this is more expensive for Intl shipping (I'm in the United States - sunny Southern California, as the store name implies <S>), it provides me (and I believe the buyer) a more assured business experience. I'm personally willing to forgo some business in order to evade the irritation/stress some of the back and forth with scammers and, of course, legitimate customers where that pricey uninsured item vanished in transit. Keeping my store a reasonably relaxing experience is important to me due to my health challenges.

So that was my personel decision... but for many if not most others, maximizing order volume worldwide is a totally smart(er) tradeoff!
  • @Calibrick Every decision is a valid decision if the person making it accepts both the pros and cons. I would never pass the cost of tracking on to every buyer but you've made that decision with your eyes open, you understand the cons and have weighed them against the pros. It works for you and that's how it should be.
  • edited October 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Calibrick: That makes sense, I would probably also use tracking in your position. But since over here that makes shipping some 5 to 10 times as expensive, it's simply not a viable option for me. And tracking just means you get to follow your package into oblivion without any chance of restitution :P So I only offer insured shipping for big orders and uninsured for small. For medium orders I ship uninsured but charge a few euros extra as a kind of insurance fund. According to my estimation it should get me break-even.

> @Hoddie said:
    >
    > I find that hard to believe. They're providing a service which means a contract is in place - if they don't uphold that contract they are liable, in law, for putting you back into the position you were in prior to using their service. The only defence would be if you chose a wholly unsuitable delivery method, such as standard post for €300 worth of goods. Even 'uninsured' services should come with basic insurance - in the UK it's up to £20 I believe.

Yep. Nope. I also told them that and nope, they simply will not do it. I had to go through months of calling and complaining and eventually I got to have the money paid for shipping returned to me. But this was an exception, they said. But value of the the lost contents, nope, all at your own risk. And this was tracked shipping - without tracking, you will not get your postage money back either (because any random person in the world could call them and say "hey I lost a shipment", this is my bank account). They will just repeat to use insured shipping next time. They sure know how to make a business out of their own shortcomings.
  • Maybe it's just a Dutch thing :) PostNL once lost a parcel of mine (a BO order) and they refused to pay out even though I'd purchased additional insurance. If they thought I was going to lie down they were sadly mistaken! Their own tracking showed it left the drop off point and that was it. I pestered them by live chat, email, Facebook, etc. They eventually offered a paltry amount which I immediately rejected. After that I got the ombudsman involved, who were shocked at PostNL's intransigence. About 18 months after they lost the parcel, they finally paid out in full. In the UK, I'd have insisted on interest and compensation for all the time spent chasing, etc. I don't know how that works here in Belgium so I didn't bother. I'm very reluctant to use PostNL ever again, and will only do so if the price difference is huge.

I think the Dutch postal system's membership of the Universal Postal Union mandates that they offer insurance even for standard shipping methods. How easy it is for a consumer to make them pay out is a different matter, and you might have to resort to court action for redress, a bit over-kill for €20 or whatever the amount is. You could maybe get the national consumer rights association on board but that depends on how accessible they are (the UK's one isn't particularly consumer friendly atm).
  • > @Teup said:
    >
    > I think that in my experience it really was the Italian post, but hard to be sure. Why only IBAN though? If a buyer reports they did not receive the order you'll need to refund, either PayPal or IBAN. Seems to me it doesn't matter.
    >
    The difference is the interaction with the buyer when there is a problem: The communication is straight between seller and buyer, and particulary 'no' third party to 'rule' over the situation, that makes a big difference and together with the fact a 'claim' is not just a click reduces the risk of abuse.
  • > @Hoddie said:
    > How is using PayPal's Buyer Protection abuse?

You are putting my words in another context. I was clearly reffering to rotten apples who abuse the buyer protection deliberately (because they know they can).
  • > @Hoddie said:
    > > @"White Horse Bricks" said:
    > > If you know someone is posting without tracking, you just put a claim in to Paypal, keep the goods and get your money back.
    >
    > If you believe a claim to be fraudulent, notify the authorities. Otherwise ask the post office for compensation.
    >
    Authorities won't do a thing (particulary not the ones in destination country), and it's a big hasstle as filing a complaint (and the follow ups) takes hours ;-)
    Post office compensation? Most services clearly claim publicly they are not responsible on non tracked shipments... That's the irony :-)
  • > @robernat said:
    > > @Hoddie said:
    > > How is using PayPal's Buyer Protection abuse?
    >
    > You are putting my words in another context. I was clearly reffering to rotten apples who abuse the buyer protection deliberately (because they know they can).

It is not my intention to put words in your mouth. You said "Which doesn't exclude a potential rotten apple offcourse who will see Paypal as the 'insurance' in stead of paying for it." It is, to the knowledge of both parties, effectively insurance for the buyer, so how is using it as such wrong?

> @robernat said:
    > Authorities won't do a thing (particulary not the ones in destination country), and it's a big hasstle as filing a complaint (and the follow ups) takes hours ;-)
    > Post office compensation? Most services clearly claim publicly they are not responsible on non tracked shipments... That's the irony :-)

To my knowledge, postal services are not immune from consumer law or contract law. They cannot insert a general 'no compensation if the service fails' into their contract with consumers because that tramples all over established legal rights. Granted, it could be different in a B2B contract with the postal service but even then, I doubt such a general term would stand up in court. It essentially says "we can throw your parcel in the bin the second you give it to us and there's nothing you can do about it."
  • It's very interesting to read how other postal systems handle things. My experience with the US Postal Service in recent years has been quite good (pleasantly so) - the free tracking has actually recovered one package that ended up in a "neverland" at a sorting facility for one customer and they responded in less than 24 hours (and on a weekend, no less).

I know from previous experience over the years that insured items DO take weeks for USPS to investigate and process (I've seen from four and up to six), but they definitely do pay if you followed their packaging and paperwork rules. And the civil servants I've worked with have been super-nice and are on your side, since they are Federal government and customers themselves (not profit-driven).

Does InsurePost work for countries outside the US? It's an independent postal insurer... reviews seem to be quite mixed, but they do appear to pay out eventually. Rates are pretty cheap, roughly $1.05US for every $100US of insurance. They don't care where it's going - but you HAVE to very rigorously adhere to their rules (they will purportedly take any excuse to NOT pay out). Obviously they are profit-driven. :-)
  • edited November 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Wow!

About the insurance topic... right now I am watching a consumer program and it's about PostNL. A guy sold an item for about €1000, insured up to €5500, but PostNL only wanted to pay him 60%!! Because they pay the value minus the added value of the last transaction of the item, in other words the price for which the sender had purchased the item. The seller has to refund the full 100% to the buyer, but gets only 60% from PostNL even though paying plenty extra for that service! >:(

It's ridiculous, they are using an insurance rule out of its context. It is normal for business insurance to pay 60% or purchase value of the items because the items have not been sold yet and fiscally carry the purchase value. But after a sale, the value of the item has definitely increased and the only document of relevance should be that most recent sale of it, NOT the one before it... seems to me that this is just PostNL using a rule out of its context to save money dishonestly... This guy put hours of work and materials into renovating the item, I think it's disgusting this is not covered.
  • I was a hop, skip and a jump away from taking PostNL to court - I paid for insurance, they lost the parcel, yet were only prepared to pay a certain amount - it could have been 60%, I can't remember. This was after the Belgian ombudsman got involved as well. I made it clear that nothing less than 100% plus the cost of postage would suffice, and they eventually - months later - paid out, and only after the threat of court action. I'm very reluctant to use their service ever again.
  • Ugh, sounds like that's how they roll, yes. I once had a parcel lost with tracking but without insurance. While I accepted not getting money for the lost items, I demanded the postage cost back as they had not delivered the service I paid for. It was a long process that involved my contact person being hard to reach and at some point being on holidays for some time, but eventually I got it.
    Now, here's where it gets interesting: The guy in the program described exactly the same procedure. They make you thankful for your contact person within PostNL to do more for you than "normal" and then they become increasingly difficult to reach. Sounds like it's a routine part of their tricks. It's close to scam..