Quick Question for Buyers

Ever since I started my store I always bagged each lot individually and I have gotten multiple good reviews specifying that they like the way I packaged my orders. I'm now realizing that it's kind of a waste of time and money. So here is my question "Would buyers prefer each lot individually bagged or would they like the whole order in one bag."

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • And a waste of resources, especially if you're buying plastic specifically for the purpose of sending an order! I've seen several buyers on Bricklink saying that if their order arrives with all lots bagged individually, they will not buy there anymore. Something to watch out for! I think the consensus is a couple of lots per bag. I try to avoid packing similar parts with the same colour in one bag.
  • > @Teup said:
    > And a waste of resources, especially if you're buying plastic specifically for the purpose of sending an order! I've seen several buyers on Bricklink saying that if their order arrives with all lots bagged individually, they will not buy there anymore. Something to watch out for! I think the consensus is a couple of lots per bag. I try to avoid packing similar parts with the same colour in one bag.

Now that I know that it could potentially turn people away from my store I will probably not individually bag lots anymore. Thank you for the help!
  • just for reference, I tend to work with small lot orders, I bag all items in the same paper envelope, no additional plastic, no additional bags to keep parts seperate; larger orders I'll stack plates/bricks etc and then bag the smaller parts so they aren't roaming around the bottom of the box .. only had 1 feedback which indicated they would like the parts in seperate bags
  • Been thinking about this too, I don’t like the idea of using so much plastic. I personally don’t mind if all lots are in one bag, (Lego put different parts in the same bag) unless I’ve ordered used and new then I would prefer it separated, but not a must. Orders I send out are bagged new and used separate and couple of lots per bag.
  • We use one bag per item where it is bulk lots of one item and the rest will be mixed. There will always be the odd customer who wants it different but we should try to avoid as much waste on packing as we can to.
  • I've gotten feedback and notes from buyers that say they buy from me because I take the time to separate lots (presort) - I also do it to limit part-scratching in shipment. I for one hate it when everything is just tossed into a bag mixed up...

So I guess it really just depends on the individual customer, as with many things! :-)
  • Would it be worth the effort of asking each buyer how they would like their order packaged?
  • Frankly, we tend to bag lots based on how easily it can be checked. If it is 3 each of 1x1 plates that are distinctly different colors, we would bag them together. Where the color and/or quantity would make checking difficult (either for our QA checker or the buyer), we try to split them into different bags.

We do re-use bags, when possible. We have gotten some notes where our buyers are happy for the nice selection of bags and assure us that they will be reused, so I think in the end, we all work toward an efficient, green solution.
  • I'm guessing from this thread that the little plastic bags aren't recyclable in all countries? For what it's worth, I'm like @pmitch, I will pack several lots together if they're easily separated for counting/checking. Also, low count lots will often get packed together. Printed elements, transparent panels, tiles, windshields, etc. all kept separate. Just a bit of common sense needed, doesn't have to be a binary choice between each lot in a different bag or everything thrown in together.
  • > @carlptaylor said:
    >larger orders I'll stack plates/bricks etc
    > .

Just so you know, stacking parts is a definite no no for many. Personally I hate it, especially for plates. I would never buy from a store that I knew did this.
  • edited October 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Cool, seems there's pretty much a spontaneous concensus amongst sellers.

> @peanut04 said:
    > Would it be worth the effort of asking each buyer how they would like their order packaged?

That has been done on the BL forum, and the outcome was pretty much the same. Multiple lots is fine as long as it's not LEGO S@H style, big bag with all sorts of parts.

> @"White Horse Bricks" said:
    > > @carlptaylor said:
    > >larger orders I'll stack plates/bricks etc
    > > .
    >
    > Just so you know, stacking parts is a definite no no for many. Personally I hate it, especially for plates. I would never buy from a store that I knew did this.

Well... usually they do this to keep the shipping costs down and/or to avoid scratching. I agree this can't be done with new parts, but if it's used parts? I always stack used plates, but zigzag, not completely one on top of the other of course.. (imagine a lot of 8x8s) :D
  • Ditto re stacking parts... I HATE that as a buyer (as stated, particularly with plates!). I actually had someone send me stacked 1x1 plates (200 of them). That was NOT fun to unstack, sigh.
  • Kind of funny to complain about wasting plastic when we are in fact selling plastic parts. I try to avoid bagging one item per bag, but I do try to make things as organized as possible. Same part types or color in same bag etc. If I'm losing customers because of too many bags not much I can do about it. I definitely have more feedback in the positive realm for individual bags than I do for using less.

Would be nice to perhaps have an option for the buyer to choose one big bag or multiple bags per order.
  • > @elspanky said:
    > Kind of funny to complain about wasting plastic when we are in fact selling plastic parts.

I don't think that is funny or paradoxal at all. If we were selling chemicals, that wouldn't justify using some disposable chemical packaging.