Cleaning Lego

Does anyone have any opinions or experience in cleaning Lego using an Ultrasonic cleaner. I've heard some people say that you cannot do it because the Lego floats to the top.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • i use a tub of hot water and a dish washer tablet , for yellowed white put bricks in jam jar filled with hydrogen peroxide and leave for a week
  • Ultrasonic seems like it would be too small for any practical use. If you're cleaning just a few pieces, a couple of q-tips and some warm soapy water is sufficient. Bigger lots go in the sink or tub.

• Agitate all the parts in warm soapy water, rinse well and spread out to dry, with individual attention occassionally needed. All my parts are washed before they are sent out, adds a day to handling time but it means parts go out clean & shiny with no dust or finger marks etc. Yellowed parts are discarded & replaced, not worth trying to bring them back to life.
  • I'm actually looking for a big solution. We have hundreds of kilos that need washing. I need to wash a few kilos at a time, with minimum effort.
  • For a few kilos, I'd still use the bathtub. But doing hundreds of kilos like that would be hard on the back.
    So then my next choice would be the kitchen sink and several colanders.

A washing machine is going to be too rough on the parts. (although maybe on 'lingerie' cycle... hm.)
    Using a dishwasher might work, but don't use dish machine detergent, use regular liquid dish soap in small amounts. Put the pieces in a mesh bag so they don't come loose. My guess is that would work ok for pieces that aren't too dirty. Pieces with actual dirt or attached crud then could go into sink or bathtub for a second pass.

But, paying the neighbor kid to do it might be the easiest solution.
  • ... and this is why I deal I deal in mostly new parts )and used parts from my personal collection).

For what it's worth, I've found a toothbrush to be the most effective for removing caked on dust or mystery dirt.

I made the mistake of using household hydrogen peroxide to try brightening yellowed whites and blues. You need to go to a Sally Beauty or something like it and get the stuff that can bleach your hair. For more info: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

For hundreds of kilos, I honestly can't imagine the cost to benefit ratio being worth it. Perhaps the neighborhood kids idea is the best.

When it comes to really stubborn pieces, unless it's a high value part, it might not be worth the time.

Good luck.

Enoch