how to get that first order

any tip's on getting orders into the shop and feedback

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would expand your selection... that is the best way for people to find you (e.g., based on wish lists, etc.).
  • As Calibrick mentioned, your selection is very limited, so that will restrict sales.

I'm not sure I understand the following line on your terms:

"Also please consider more 5% of the total order when using Paypal."

Does this mean you are asking for people to send an extra 5% of the order value? If so, I'm pretty sure this goes against the European PayPal ToS, not to mention, very off-putting for buyers.
  • i thought i takeen that off as copyed from a bl shop
  • You cannot charge customers more for paying with PayPal. This is contrary to BrickOwl's and PayPal's terms and conditions, but more importantly - against the law in the UK.
  • i will try and find he shop i got it from but i have removed it
  • > @vegitt said:
    > As Calibrick mentioned, your selection is very limited, so that will restrict sales.
    >
    > I'm not sure I understand the following line on your terms:
    >
    > "Also please consider more 5% of the total order when using Paypal."
    >
    > Does this mean you are asking for people to send an extra 5% of the order value? If so, I'm pretty sure this goes against the European PayPal ToS, not to mention, very off-putting for buyers.

That depends on the country, in the NL for example this is allowed. However it is by European law not allowed to overcharge payment transaction fees. 5% could in some cases result in an overcharge, therefore it is against the law. Charging either the exact amount, less, or give discounts on other orders are permissible solutions (though this is not relevant on BrickOwl as it does not have a feature to add these charges).
  • In this case, it is all kind of irrelevant since it is the only payment option offered in the store. In that case, if you wan't the extra 5%, just raise your prices 5%. That also makes the price guide more accurate, there are no extra fees that dissuade buyers, and it looks a lot more transparent.
  • I would also get rid of the comment regarding only leaving feedback after a buyer leaves it for you.

Quick and easy rule is to read your terms page as a buyer. Does it read like somebody you would like to business with? If no or even maybe, change stuff up.
  • Take a good look at other stores here. Check out their info pages too to get an idea of how to properly present your business to potential buyers.
    Keep a close eye on your pricing. You have a minifigure at £99 but in less than a second I found the same (new) at another store in the US for just over £7 all in. Anyone else doing that are unlikely to click back to your store to compare other parts & prices.

I guess we trade on trust. You will eventually receive orders - especially as your inventory grows. It's at that point where you have the opportunity to shine and prove you are worth the trust the customer has placed in you.

Good luck!
  • i did not even see that i think as no history it most set it at 99 i'm so new to this i'm going to maek mistakes
  • BO automatically sets something for sale at $99 IF at the time of list there is no price history available (e.g., no one else was stocking the minifig when you listed it and you neglected to manually set the price before adding it to your store) to suggest an average value to you.

I know that happened to me on a new part I added a few weeks ago... I had like 20 of them and suddenly my inventory value went up a few thousand dollars, lol, so fortunately I was able to spot it immediately. :-)
  • > @spendloa said:
    > i did not even see that i think as no history it most set it at 99 i'm so new to this i'm going to maek mistakes
    >

It's a common oversight. I wasn't suggesting anything untoward - only to check these things before you confirm an item for sale.
    I have made the same mistake twice.
  • I already had a lot of feedback as a buyer when starting out and over 25,000 parts and still took a little time to get the first order, it soon snowballed from there but you got to watch pricing if you want more sales but that can also be a curse as you get bigger. The price to time ratio is one reason I have decided to sell up, great for someone who has room at home and a bit more time but if you have other work or business which the later is me it becomes difficult to balance to two. Good luck with it all.