Add iDeal as a payment method

Please consider adding iDeal as a payment method. iDeal is an interface for bank transfers used by the Dutch market. With 378 million transactions last year, iDeal is by far the preferred payment method in The Netherlands. Webshops from 60 different countries already offer iDeal as a payment method.
Also, iDeal would make bank transfer / offsite payment obsolete for the Dutch market, reducing non-payments and other issues that offsite payment may bring along.
Please, help by voting for this suggestion. Also if you're not a Dutch seller or buyer, because the Dutch market is potentially very large (on BL it's the 4th biggest country) and it would certainly atrract alot more users to BO if they see the payment method they're familiar with. Most Dutch users I talked to (including myself) only signed up for a PayPal account after buying Lego using familiar payment methods for a while.
Thanks! :)

Comments

• 48 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks for posting this Teup!
    I strongly support this. What's more: iDeal has perfect API's available. Apart from my hobby business on Brick Owl and on Bricklink, I also own a real (meaning a physical) shop in another business. In the first 6 months of 2018 my turnover with iDeal payments increased by 43%.
    @ Lawrence: I'm happy to offer my help.
  • Great! Thanks for posting. What I hadn't mentioned - it would be such a cool edge over BL, that will probably draw a nice chunk of BL users :) I'm sure some 90% of the Dutch users will appreciate this alot.
  • I agree, please add IDEAL
  • Agreed, this would be a good idea. Especially since The Netherlands has a lot of Lego fans (per capita) and iDeal is seen as a well trusted payment method.
  • @Teup last year i also opted for this implementation. I hope lawrence sees the benefits of ideal integrations !! also makes an advantages over BL, unique selling point over here :D
  • > @unbrickable said:
    > @Teup last year i also opted for this implementation. I hope lawrence sees the benefits of ideal integrations !! also makes an advantages over BL, unique selling point over here :D

Exactly, would serve BL right for never responding or implementing suggestions! :) Last week I had a non paying buyer that indicated he had sent the money, and a buyer that sent it but didn't indicate it. Can't wait to see iDeal, would be the definitive end of Dutch non payments :)
  • I lost a sale a few months ago due to the customer not having paypal and wanted to use iDeal, (I did have a bank transfer option but didn't recall switching this on!), I did look into how it could be done on here, as it does have an Ideal option, but no additional information on how to go about it .. fingers crossed this can be implemented
  • @Teup that was not the intention of the post @Lawrence does implement alot of features requested by us seller and buyers, for example the analytical tool + all the api work ! it is very important to have a good stategy for this platform if every idea is implemented it would become a BIG mess ! If then something does not fit lawrence timeline its a pity. ofcourse it is nice if he communicates about it with us .
  • As a result of this thread I do intend to implement iDeal, but I don’t currently have a plan for when that would be.
  • > @unbrickable said:
    > @Teup that was not the intention of the post @Lawrence does implement alot of features requested by us seller and buyers, for example the analytical tool + all the api work ! it is very important to have a good stategy for this platform if every idea is implemented it would become a BIG mess ! If then something does not fit lawrence timeline its a pity. ofcourse it is nice if he communicates about it with us .

I know, I was referring to BL being understaffed and never implementing any suggestions :)
  • > @Lawrence said:
    > As a result of this thread I do intend to implement iDeal, but I don’t currently have a plan for when that would be.

That's great news already! Thanks! :)
  • > @Lawrence said:
    > As a result of this thread I do intend to implement iDeal, but I don’t currently have a plan for when that would be.

Great! We'll wait and see.
  • > @Lawrence said:

Good idea - thanks
  • @Lawrence fyi also willing to help make it happen. I have done technical iDeal implementations before. Feel free to ping me any time. It would save me hacking around the system, just like I had to do on BL ;-)
  • Is there any news yet on when this might be implemented? :)
    As we speak I have an order stuck on "pending" which I am about to cancel, would be great to replace bank transfer by iDeal, and can't wait to see the pull of Dutch community also!
  • If I understood correctly it is on the todo list, just not on the top yet ;-). I've messaged @Lawrence quite some tech details on how it can be done so I think when they find the time it will happen.

When done via an intermediate party such as Mollie you could implement a bunch of iDeal-alike systems, like GiroPay, SOFORT, Bancontact, EPS, etc (used in different European countries) in one go. That would make the effort more worth it.

Also, stuff like refunds etc is also supported via their API so for sellers could work like PayPal.
  • Great! Thanks for doing that preliminary work, I appreciate it and I'm sure alot of other Dutch users will also. Hopefully Lawrence will find a moment to pick it up where you left off :)
  • as ilovebricks said using mollie would be a fantastic solution which offers alot of options !
  • I saw on stripe there is a way to activate the ideal payment option, not sure how to make it an option on here thought? Anyone know?
  • > @ilovebricks said:
    > If I understood correctly it is on the todo list, just not on the top yet ;-). I've messaged @Lawrence quite some tech details on how it can be done so I think when they find the time it will happen.
    >
    > When done via an intermediate party such as Mollie you could implement a bunch of iDeal-alike systems, like GiroPay, SOFORT, Bancontact, EPS, etc (used in different European countries) in one go. That would make the effort more worth it.
    >
    > Also, stuff like refunds etc is also supported via their API so for sellers could work like PayPal.
    >

I can confirm. I'm using the services of Mollie for my real life business and it has a flawless integration for webshops. Thanks to Mollie & iDeal my web orders are growing at a rate of 40% per annum!
  • Hi guys! I'm back to selling on BrickOwl. A year ago I started this topic and I wondered what the current status is? BL is still not listening and it would still be a great selling point for BrickOwl to have iDeal. I have even built my own webshop by myself outside BL and BO simply because I want to accept iDeal payments.
  • @Teub, a little bit off topic, but how do you sync your Bl, BO and your own webshop ?
  • @Snoopy1975 off topic but good question ;) I have basic programming skills, good enough to do several things but not good enough to figure out how to use the BL API.
    Basically, I post order contents as mass inventory updates to Bricklink, and then once every other day or so download my full inventory from Bricklink and upload it to BrickOwl and the webshop.

BrickOwl has a great API that lets me transform orders to Bricklink mass inventory updates easily. I just press the sync button in my software and it opens the mass inventory update page and I just press Ctrl+V and submit. For my webshop I made a similar system.

And for syncing in the other direction, I've made some software that converts the Bricklink inventory I downloaded to both bsx and to an update for the webshop.

There's some risk of overlapping orders, but it's acceptable. I've been considering using Bricksync lately, but I'm going to have to study it closer to understand if it'd work in my situation.
  • August 2018: "As a result of this thread I do intend to implement iDeal, but I don’t currently have a plan for when that would be."

Can we conclude the plans are cancelled?
  • A large amount of the implementation work was done a few weeks ago, it is something we still intend to implement.
  • Cool! :) Thanks for the update.
  • That's a great idea :)
    Thank you Teup
  • I believe the last time I was working on this, I stopped when I realised that customers would need to go off site, and we would then need to wait for an API call from the bank to let us know the payment has been successful, which could take a little while.

A compromise would be for the customer to choose iDeal as a payment method, entirely complete checkout (placing the order, as pending). Then be prompted to pay for the order. The order would then be marked as payment received automatically when the payment is confirmed. If the customer aborts payment, the order would need to be manually cancelled at some point. There could also be a page where the customer would be able to pay later if they aborted.

I'd be interested to hear if this is suitable, and how the customer experience is for iDeal payments for Dutch members using other ecommerce websites
  • Hi @Lawrence, the iDeal flow "feels" the same as the PayPal flow (for the consumer). You fill a cart, select iDeal, you get redirected there and return to the website where you purchased from.

There are payment providers that you can implement that have made a nice framework that is easy to implement. For example mollie.com. Python example: https://github.com/mollie/mollie-api-python

As the payment method can be seamlessly integrated, it is designed to have a flow where at the end payment is confirmed.

BrickOwl sends an API call to Mollie creating the payment. In this call you specify a call back url that Mollie will call to let you know the result + a URL to redirect the user to once done). Mollie sends back a URL to which you redirect the user. The magic happens there, no work for BrickOwl. Then Mollie calls the callback URL, at which time you can update the order with either Payment received (and transaction ID, account nr and similar meta data like with PayPal) or maybe payment failed etc. Then Mollie redirects the user to the url you specified earlier where you can display 'order paid' etc confirmation page.

Back in October 2018 I've send you an e-mail with tech details. Happy to forward it if it'd help.

Let me know if you have any questions on this!

Kind Regards,
    Remi
  • @ilovebricks Ah, maybe I have remembered incorrectly. With PayPal, the user goes away, enters their information, comes back, and we get a reference. The customer then clicks on the final checkout button, and then we take payment using the reference.

It sounded like with iDeal, the user would go away, enter their information, and payment would immediately be taken by the third party. The customer could then close their browser, not come back to Brick Owl, the payment would have been taken, but they would not have actually placed the order yet. Is that correct?
  • @Lawrence I see the technical difference with PayPal. With iDeal you also set a reference, and start the payment with it. In this case the provider is calling the callback url with the status and this happens async. It assumes you write the order first, then start payment and wait for the callback with success/fail and update order accordingly.

The flow is designed in such a way that even though async, the user experiences it as a sync process (unless they abort etc of course).

As the user is redirected after payment, they will return. When they close the screen or abort as you described, you'd have an order in unpaid status exactly like someone would select IBAN and pay manually. The seller should then check/wait for payment. In my experience, 99,9% of the started payments is completed.

Maybe it could start as an IBAN-like payment, then when the callback url is called with success state you could set it to paid. Something along those lines.
  • @ilovebricks Okay, that sounds similar to what I was thinking. So step 4 they choose iDeal, immedaitely go to step 5 to Review the order. Click the final complete checkout button. The system places the order (as pending). The customer is not shown the checkout complete page but is sent to make their iDeal payment with the bank.

If they return, they're shown checkout complete. If not, order will still get marked as paid by callback. If they abort payment, order will stay pending.

Does that sound appropriate?

All payment methods are slightly different so it's just a case of working out how to make them fit with our processes.
  • @Lawrence Yes this is how it should work indeed! Mollie has a test system so you can simulate iDeal payments while developing. They can also simulate aborts and such. If you need more help just let me know!
  • Okay good, I begun had begun the integration with Stripe so I'll carry on with that as we already have a lot of integration with them. Hopefully I can find some time soon to eventually get this finished.
  • This has now been implemeneted as an additional payment method using the Stripe iDeal integration. It can be enabled from your store payment methods settings
  • Nice, will have a look soon! <3 :) Thanks!
  • @Lawrence Just ordered an Owl from my store and paid via iDeal :) Nice!
  • @ilovebricks That's amazing, I'm so pleased it worked first time! Thank you for testing it with a live transaction. I'll get some of the payment details put on the order page. You should be able to refund yourself using the normal form also
  • @Lawrence Refunds also work fine. Just did a partial refund and that went well. It does a bank transaction in the back so that will actually process tomorrow. Stripe dashboard shows the transaction and refund too. Happy it works, had fun testing! Thanks :)

To all: You pay a fixed 0,29 euro fee per transaction. A refund is also 0,29 euro. This is subtracted from the amount received, like with PayPal.
  • @Lawrence: Thanks for the addition of the iDeal payment method. Seems to work fine, setting it up with an existing Stripe-account was easy and only a minute work.

Just a short question: is it possible to have the iDeal-payment logo in the payment section of the storefront? Just like Visa, mastercard, paypal?
  • @NelisSolis of course, I'll do that tomorrow
  • Wow! Haven't tested it yet, currently closed. But thrilled to hear it! Thanks so much Lawrence! :)

And good point about the logo, that will really make the casual Dutch audience feel right at home when they first discover this site :)
  • Received the first real orders that were paid with iDeal. Works really nice.

One thing to keep in mind for sellers who have added iDeal as payment method: Although it is an instant payment method for the buyer, you will not have the funds instantly in your bank account. The pay-out is through Stripe and follows the payout regime you have set up for all your Stripe payments. IDeal payments are nicely shown in the payment overview in your Stripe-dashboard between the other payments.

@Lawrence: is it possible to parse a buyer name or a BrickOwl orderID with the payment to make it easier to identify in the Stripe-payment overview?

At the moment iDeal-payments are shown like this:
    Amount: €12.34
    Description: <unique iDeal payment transaction key (=long encrypted string)>
    Customer: <empty>

Regular stripe payments with cards from BrickOwl:
    Description: "BrickOwl Order " & <ORDER_ID>
    Customer: <Firstname> & <Lastname>

Regular stripe payments with cards from Bricklink
    Description: "Payment for Bricklink from " & <Buyer username>
    Customer: <Buyer emailaddress>
  • @NelisSolis Sure, I'll see what I can do tomorrow
  • @NelisSolis Buyer name has now been added to the API calls so that should appear next time you receive a payment
This discussion has been closed.