Help needed in identifying colour

basically as the heading reads!! I am getting very confused with colours - mainly grey. Just when I think I got it up pops another piece which makes me wonder. Its the dark grey and dark stone grey which is the main problem. Any help in identifying correctly?? - I do not want to disappoint any customers by giving them the wrong shades :-O

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • hi dark grey is more of a browny grey and is not produced any more,dark stone grey is in a lot of modern sets,i have found the Brickset colour guide very useful-https://brickset.com/colours/family-Grey.

Watch out for faded parts tho,as these can trick you!

Also i have invested in daylight bulbs..make a world of difference when sorting parts!
  • Ah thanks Brick-Cat will check that guide out. You guys are great on here - really helpful to newbies like me. Thanks :-h \:D/
  • ) > @Brick-Cat said:
    > hi dark grey is more of a browny grey and is not produced any more,dark stone grey is in a lot of modern sets,i have found the Brickset colour guide very useful-https://brickset.com/colours/family-Grey.
    >
    > Watch out for faded parts tho,as these can trick you!
    >
    > Also i have invested in daylight bulbs..make a world of difference when sorting parts!

That guide has helped me - but I think i am going to have to go through my inventory of weapons and tools as I am sure i have some wrong - bang goes my evening :)
  • I rarely have issues with the dark grays... it's the light gray vs. medium stone gray that gets my agine eyes each time unless I'm in JUST the right light (the older light gray is dull, the newer med stone has a bluish cast to it). So you're not alone, Kath! I've had the best (but not perfect) luck by keeping one of each color handy for when I'm sorting to compare side-by-side.

Of challenge of course is when you get into some of the color pours with LEGO itself; some older light grays can almost pass for the newer stone gray and vice versa.

Lighting is sooooo important as Brick-Cat noted. I've had the most luck with very bright LEDs (they run cooler in the house too and are now much more affordable than they used to be).
  • Not quite Fifty Shades of Gray, but not far off! When I started selling here I was aware that there were different grays but basically left a big pile until I absolutely had to sort them! I found that one of those ring lights with daylight LEDs (the sort that craftspeople use) has come in handy. The one I have has a magnifying glass in the centre which also comes in handy when trying to locate part numbers that LEGO have helpfully tucked away in some recess. This also helps to spot any parts that have yellowed or discolored.

And let's not forget, it's not just the grays, there's the browns too...
  • Lolol, Jay!

I have a jeweler's magnifyer I use for reading those darned ID numbes, it works great. Would love to find a combo glass/light, I'll have to hit Amazon up!
  • Yep think ive got the dark greys now im struggling with the light greys. Yes my eyes are old too and I also use a magnifying glass to pick up numbers, marks etc. I have looked thru many of the weapons and have had to change quite a few from dark grey to dark stone grey and vice versa. Happily no one has complained to me yet that I have sent wrong colour lol.