For discussion: polybags should have their own category?

Hi, this is just a suggestion for community discussion.

My feeling is that polybags have a HUGE interest base - lots of people are always looking to score polybags (both to buy and to sell) and it might facilitate things to have a standalone section in the catalog for polybags.

I know that each polybag is regarded as a "set" . But I do feel that people who are new to this site are not likely to look for polybags under "sets". This of course is the current BL system, but I think it can be improved because it is not naturally intuitive (but rather, learned behaviour as are with many things on BL). Since BO is meant to be a clean slate from BL, this may be a chance to improve things! =)

I know that you can also search "polybag" but this assumes that the item has been cataloged and tagged with the term "polybag". If it hasn't then it goes under "sets" which is possibly sub-optimal as described above.

Thoughts, anyone?

This means more work for Lawrence if implemented! I'm sure he wouldn't mind if it increases sales and collection, haha... =)

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maybe a packaging type attribute would make more sense, as they are still sets. You could then filter sets by polybag/cardboard/blister pack etc.
  • Yes, that would be great!
  • There is now an attribute for packaging type which can be set for gear and sets. It is set to cardboard box by default for most sets. It can be changed on the edit tab.
  • There's already a packaging type on the related packaging for the set. Isn't it redundant, and potentially out-of-sync, if for example somebody (mistakenly) puts polybag for the set and foil pack for the packaging? Can the attributes of the related packaging be surfaced through the set?
  • edited October 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    There are 'sets' which I define as an official retail lego brick model, that often has a figure with it. Sets also include games with buildable structures, and advent calenders with buildable models, and some smaller polybag packaged items that contain a buildable model. Setsmust come from lego.com or from a lego store.

Non sets are anything not buildable and/or not available from a lego store.

Not buildable are:
    'gear': watches, clocks, pens, magnets, keychains, posters. Although bricks can be included they are not really designed to be a buildable model as the selling point.

And:
    'Individual figures': Individual minifigs, often in polybags, built in the store, thrown is randomly as chase items, and sometimes in a retail polybag package, sometimes, loose but with official instructions, and sometimes in a small clear packaging.

Not from a lego store are:
    A gray area is the exclusive item at a trade show or retail exclusive, or supermarket, fastfood, etc. promo, since it isn't a retail lego item, which in my definition is a requirement as an official lego set. I strongly believe anything not available from the lego website or a lego physical store should be marked as an exclusive non set item. This would include some polybags, and also some buildable models of course, and also some gear and minifig bags. If the item were ever offered in some retail lego version, then this classification would be removed.

• So there are sets, gear, individual figures, and exclusives. They can all have a variety of packaging.