Quote requests not turning into orders

Hi, I've had a few quote requests lately for decent amounts, larger than my typical order, but when I quote they rarely turn to orders. I've even had a few that have auto cancelled because someone has purchansed one of the items on another order for them to come and request the quote again. I figure on the buyers part it must take time and effort to compile the quote request in the first place so unsure why so few turn into orders. I'm now wondering if I'm not doing something right when I reply. I put the shipping amount in and a short thanks for quote message and I do this as quick as I can. I charge shipping at cost to. Wonder if anyone has any quote tips or pointers. Many thanks,
Stu

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Probably the best thing would be to setup shipping methods to try and cover as many of those quote requests as possible so customers can see the cost upfront and not wait for a quote.
  • Thanks Lawrence, I've added some but I'm going to have to take a good look over the weekend and try and cover as many possibilities as I can, would be great to turn them all to orders :)
  • edited August 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    What Lawrence said.
    But you'll still get quote requests for items that are missing dimensions and weight. Obviously, if you can, help everyone out by updating the catalog if you have the tools to measure & weigh pieces.

When I receive quote requests, it is usually because one or more items fall into the above issue.
    I too do postage at cost - give or take a few pence. I'm no accountant but I know it's pretty tight.
    I reply as quickly as I can. I make use of my existing shipping methods & prices but on larger orders, I will quote less than usual - it can be absorbed and it's worth getting new business.
    When I reply, I thank them for their interest, detail the shipping service the quote applies to and sign off politely. I don't think anyone can do much more than that.
  • Amen re updating the catalog with weights and dimensions... I try very hard to submit those for any items missing in my own store (I really hate having to do quotes from the customer POV - we're an instant gratification generation! <s>). If a different store has the item with shipping already estimated and it seems reasonable, I will save myself the time and just roll with that, even if the part or set is a bit higher.