Charge for multiple quotes?

edited October 2013 in Brick Owl Vote Up-3Vote Down
Is there a possibility to add a charge for multiple quotes from the same person? I've had the same person send me a request for a quote 4 times now, with a slight variation in their order every time. I've processed the request each time, and for me, I basically end up pulling the order to verify parts availability before sending the quote out. Frankly it just seems like either they don't know how to complete the order properly, or just like wasting my time. I was thinking if I can charge them a quarter for every quote beyond the second one that doesn't result in an order placed, that would make them rethink it.

Example:
Quote 1 - free
Quote 2 - free
Quote 3 - $0.25
Quote 4 - $0.25
Etc.

Quote 1 - free
Quote 2 - free
Order placed
Quote 3 - free

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Or use the weight from the quote, add for packaging, round up, add an ounce (or 30g) and use that number. Call it good. Refund if it's grossly over. Why bother pulling parts if there's no guarantee of money? Or maybe they're trying to get as many parts as possible within a certain weight band.

Brian
  • Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the response. I was curious to know if others had this happening to them as well. I think part of the reason I was making sure to pull the parts before quoting is because I have a BL store as well. While I try to keep it sync'd as well as one can hope, I'd hate to be quoting someone for something I no longer have. Especially since then I run the risk of them placing an order and then having to process a partial or full refund.
  • I think you should put some effort in using the weigh bands and shipping costs. This works fine for me. I don't get any quotes at the moment. The shipping feature works pretty good. Take a look at my delivery page: http://steendorp.brickowl.com/page/delivery for the details.

Frank
  • A better solution would be that the buyer can see their order weight as they add to their order. I usually have multiple quotes for the same order when the buyer is trying to maximize the amount in their order before reaching the next shipping increase. (I.e., How much more can I add before my shipping goes up. The order continues to grow until the maximum weight in parts are added = multiple shipping quotes.)
    Melissa
  • I have weight bands for US shipments. I haven't spent the time to do so for the rest of the world yet. I envision that would be a harrowing process. Perhaps I'll pick some of the more common countries and try it on those.
  • @Eccohawk I am with you. I have never received a quote from the US yet. My shipping setup is pretty developed for the U.S. my international on the other hand is not. It will certainly take some time to develop this portion.
  • There are several shipping bands for international but they vary in cost only a little bit. To reduce the workload on your end, make 2 international bands; one for Canada/Mexico and one for the rest of the world. You can even copy your US shipping table and then adjust it.

Brian
  • @johnsma2000 I will be showing the weight on the cart at some point, it's mainly a UI issue. If shipping band are setup, the buyer can see the shipping rate to change in the sidebar as they are adding and removing items from their cart and therefore would not need to submit any quotes.