How to correctly add dimensions for minifigures and other parts?

I find the description "Minifigures/parts should be measured standing up" a little bit vague. Minifigs should be measured right up, that is standing on their feet. The measurements are L x W x H. So, from feet to top of head(gear) this should be H(eight), right? But what is L(ength)? From left arm/hand to right arm/hand? And W(idth) being obviously the thickness of minifig? And does this include foot items like flippers?

For me L x W X H is confusing. What is the common sense about this? Also when I put a 3001 brick right up, I get a sense of the height. But width and length are depending on how you look at the brick: with the knobs towards you or with the side towards you?
Sorry if this has been answered before or for me sounding dumb. Maybe I'm dumb.

Anyway, a page with detailed step-to-step instructions for people who want to contribute to this great site (but who feel lost or don't know what the conventions are) would be welcome, at least for me... :-)

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My preferred take is width would be arm to arm and length is front to back (and height being more obvious!). I tend to think of it like a car or a horse; the length is nose to tail. It seems a bit weird when it is the shortest measurement on a minifigure. I've not had any rejections when submitting in this format but Lawrence may be able to clarify.
    James
  • @Leftoverbricks I've always submitted Length from hand to hand, so 26mm most of the time (in most cases, capes, special legs or arms and such make the exception). Width is front to back, including flippers. Height is obvious. Technically it doesn't really matter, as long the dimensions are there we're good as it will allow BO to calculated it for shipping (BO turns every dimension anyway).
    I sometimes also submit a 'packed' dimension if the fig fits a flatter dimension in unbuild condition.
  • Thanks Eric for your explanation.