Name Needs Improvement?

Yes, I agree. But to what extent do we improve the Base LEGO Names? I understand that "Cat W/Hole Ø 1.5, Dec. No. 2" may not be the most professional of terms but to what extent do we find a happy medium between LEGO and Bricklink? Brickset uses these somewhat lingo-istic terms so I'm not sure where on the scale to start improving.

Little help?

Brian

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A simple answer would be, look at the part I'll try to describe it in plain English.

Brickset uses Lego names, we have slightly cleaned up Lego names. They use a lot of abbreviations and shorthand which is unhelpful for customers.
  • IMO and I stress it is my opinion and doesn't form the opinion of BrickOwl, I think the description should describe only the important parts of the element. I hate seeing these very long descriptions of parts. That is what the product image is there for.

For instance a Technic brick has holes, so we do not need to specify that it has holes in the description.
    However a 2x2 tile with a single stud in the centre, needs to tell you the difference between this element and a normal 2x2 tile, ie it has a single stud in the centre.

I think Lawrence said once, the description should only be enough to differentiate it from another part. So if Lego ever brought out an element that was a 1x6 Technic brick with only 4 holes instead of 5. The description would be 1x6 Technic brick with 4 holes, without the need to go and adjust the normal technic brick to say 5 holes.

As for Lego names, they are not designed for the publics use, they are technical names, not what I would call Catalog names. If Lego made a parts catalog they would invent new names for the parts, however they do not seem to use friendly names in their pick a brick online.
  • So essentially what we've been doing already, it just has a name and points associated with it...

@Minifigforlife It's hard to find the picture if the words to describe it aren't attached to it. :)

Brian
  • Yes, same as before, its just this is name needs improvement as opposed to name missing,