Alternate Parts in Inventories...

Right now when you look at an inventory you see the alternate parts listed next to each other with the same quantities (fooling you when looking quickly that there are more of that part or both of those parts in the main inventory. To me and I am sure others this can be a little confusing. I would suggest that maybe the base part type is shown with the quantities and then some sort of Menu or pop-up to view the different styles in that alternative group so that the alternatives are not thought of as part of the set and only one main quantity is shown.

Brion

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree - perhaps it could be similar to how the Break/Assemble feature works with minifigs in a set. A Variants On/Off toggle.
  • @admin

Do you want an alternate listed in the inventory even if it has never been found in the set, or should we ask to delete ones that have no evidence of being found in said set?

Example 42009 has two alternates listed in inventory, so far only one type of each has been found in a sealed set.

Thanks
  • I do only want "correct" alternates, but it would be very difficult to verify the absence of an alternate because they vary greatly between regions.
  • I just parted out 3 copies of ghost train, and ended up with a mix of alternates, 1 set even had a mix of thin/thick clips, another set had 1x2 plates /w 1 stud of which only 1 plate had "bottom groove".

Which would suggest that depending on where the sets are packed (rather than sold) dictates the inclusion or not of "old style" parts - TLG obviously use what they have, rather than make sure they include the same mold type in each set!

So, for me, what would work well would be a prompt if you try to add both (or more) alternates to your inventory - something like "multiple alternates selected - continue [yes/no]" BEFORE the "have you checked everything" prompt.

Graham
  • Can we list stickered parts as alternatives? In a separate way of course. (With an s on the set inventory to indicate the ones that could be a stickered part) As it is now I can't determine what stickered parts (Those missing images) go with what I have available for sale in order to list them. I would guess the buyers can't tell either. An great example are the cylinders in set 3831 Spongebox Squarepants Rocket Ride. I've parted out the set but had to not list the stickered parts because they are not listed as alternatives. A great solution might be to have a tab like you have for Instructions, stickers and packaging that are on the set page. One specific to the stickered parts. In this set in particular there are 8 stickered cylinders, 2 bricks and a flag with stickers I can't list yet.

• edited October 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've lost my quote.. Admin said...
    I do only want "correct" alternates, but it would be very difficult to verify the absence of an alternate because they vary greatly between regions.

I hear you. How about sets coming out, lets say now, the found alternates are left and the ones not found are removed. Then they could be added back in if they are found.

This can leave the grey area of the past open but achieve more accuracy going forward.

For a tad more context. I think it equally difficult to conclude the presence of an alternate without someone finding it empirically.

EDIT: Well not hard to conclude, but my general point is there.
  • Agreed. And it can vary by region, and production runs may vary over time.
    LEGO considers variants to be all the same part (usually), so they will use one or the other or a mix as is convenient. Somebody at the factory could find a box of one style and just dump it in the bin with another style, mixing them in randomly.
    On the "same part" point.

The six long steering links an example of something that falls out of the "normal". 32005 and 2739

I for one think the undetermined entry on these should be removed.

One you can put the ball through from either side, the other only one side. Right now the names here are lacking to describe this. Everywhere there is much "cross contamination" with this these parts through lack of definition and attention. You can build all the old sets with the "new" ones, it is possible there are some new sets you cannot build with the "old" ones. Certainly MOC stuff would run into conflicts.

One can do something the other cannot and many people, I believe, have thought the groves on the inside are the stop, where really it is a semi-blocked off side.

To have a non-stopped one in a colour that has never been produced, lime lets say, will tend to happen if alternates are too broad in definition.

My point is; tools to let sellers not fuss over minor things is great and should be encouraged, tools to help purists separate things and have accuracy are just as important.

Joe

• On those steering links...

Looking closer the "comes in" is completely one sided and relates to the "type 2". According to the part # it is correct for newer sets as it relates to say Peeron #2739a http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2739a

Back when I imported my 32005, they showed up as 2739, so backwards to proper.

Peeron 2739a = without stop = 32005 = current style

2739b = with stop = 2739 = retired style

Looks like Ldraw has the a and b reversed compared to other sources.

I don't know how clear I got that across, but looks fairly messed up to me right now. I can move my own inventory over to the right part # here easy enough but it will have wishlist imports backwards if I understand right.

• I do only want "correct" alternates, but it would be very difficult to verify the absence of an alternate because they vary greatly between regions.
    Yes. Very hard to correct information that is variable in nature. Perhaps there could be a placeholder undetermined entry created/entered in an inventory for each part that has variations. Then when a specific variant is found, it can replace the placeholder. If/when another variant is found, it could be added as an alternate.

As much distaste as I have for undetermined entries, I would rather see them instead of data that may not be accurate. They would also encourage more inventory change submissions.

• Yes. Very hard to correct information that is variable in nature. Perhaps there could be a placeholder undetermined entry created/entered in an inventory for each part that has variations. Then when a specific variant is found, it can replace the placeholder. If/when another variant is found, it could be added as an alternate.
    I for one think this is a great idea. No idea how hard it would be to pull of but a really good compromise.

This discussion has been closed.