Stripe Issue

Hi,
I just recently set up a stripe account for my store. I saw a thread over at BL recently where Stripe was wanting authorization that user was a 'lego' reseller prior to releasing funds. I got this notice yesterday when a user on BO paid via Stripe. I've messaged stripe telling them that I sell used parts from my collection/used bulk finds. It looks like BL thread got it resolved but I didn't know if this has happened to any BO sellers. Personally having this happen on my first use with them is making me feel as if the hassle is not worth the lower fees; I've have had issues PP before and they actually get things resolved very quickly for you.

Thanks for using Stripe!

We've noticed that your website seems to sell some fairly popular brands. Before we can resume payouts to your bank account, we do need to request confirmation that your store is authorized to resell these brands.

We're really sorry about the trouble—unfortunately, a few bad actors can make for a few extra hoops for legitimate businesses to climb through. If you send us documentation confirming your authorized reseller status, we are happy to resume payouts!

We've also enabled a prompt in your Stripe dashboard[1] that will show you this message—once we're all set with this verification, we’ll go ahead and take this notice down.

Best,
Harley

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @motherofwagons I've heard similar stories before over Stripe, personally, when I was using Stripe I I never had the problem, the difference, maybe, I can only assume, is that my account was setup with a VAT number right from the start. And I was registered in the EU, there are laws in the EU that prevent brands for monopolising the market. Maybe Stripe acts differently in other regions of the world?
    Anyway, looks like you're stuck, I assume you do not have the 'authorisation' they are expecting, now either you convince them you are selling second hand stuff by sending the order form and get you're money released with the option to keep using Stripe, or you convince them to get you're money released for the same reason with the promise you unregister from Stripe.

Personnaly I took down Stripe for other reasons months ago... They are very helpfull with info, but they have ZERO support/control when a buyer files a complaint, as the Credit Cards Companies and Banks are in control, so when you present 'evidence', it is not Stripe who decides and/or investigates the problem (unlike Paypal), but the CC or bank, and there is also ZERO communication between those and the seller. So the slightest complaint of a buyer will result in an instant refund to the buyer, no questions asked, a 'fee' (15 Euro/around 15 USD) on top of it and not the slightest recourse as there is no interaction between the seller and the CC/bank, and Stripe only 'executes' (instantly) then say 'sorry, we can't help you, that's how it works'.
    Paypal just 'freezes' the money during the investigation and they will investigate the problem themselves prior to refunding (and no extra fee), that's a huge difference...

Good luck getting you're money released.

Cheers, Eric
  • That's why sellers pay PayPal fees, in part for the adjudication of complaints, something which as you've noted isn't common with any other payment method. Yet still many sellers believe buyers should reimburse them for these fees. I just don't understand - the alternative to using PayPal is a merchant account like Stripe which simply follows the instructions of MasterCard, Visa, at al. Ultimately, PayPal is cheap considering the protection it offers sellers.
  • I have to disagree with you here Hoddie. I have had a few chargebacks over the years on Paypal, and they do not adjudicate at all. They either tell me they just do what the Credit card companies say, or If I do not have it tracked, as I don't for small orders, then the buyer wins. No adjudication at all.
  • They do, on occasion, don't pass on the charge.
  • motherofwagons, if you are selling new parts, send the proof of purchase of the sets, I have heard elsewhere that was sufficient to release your funds, however they were not prepared to continue with a better form of authorisation, but at least you get your funds.
  • > @minifigforlife said:
    > or If I do not have it tracked, as I don't for small orders, then the buyer wins. No adjudication at all.
    >
    Well obviously this is 'normal' as the requirement for Paypal is that you have every shipment tracked, that's part of their guidelines, if you decide to do the opposite (as many of us do), then the risk is on you, so there is no reason for them to discuss anything.
    But that doesn't mean they are not willing to investigate, if you come with proof, they will look at it: I had a case where a buyer claimed not receving an order, yet 8 business days after I shipped, the parts where put for sale in his Ebay store. That sure raised question with Paypal and I got to keep the money (they refunded the buyer themselves, but I'm pretty sure they also tagged his account).
  • > @"XS Bricks" said:
    > motherofwagons, if you are selling new parts, send the proof of purchase of the sets, I have heard elsewhere that was sufficient to release your funds, however they were not prepared to continue with a better form of authorisation, but at least you get your funds.
    >
    Not a bad suggestion, but quite a tricky one as well, as it would entirely depend on how the seller operates. If the seller works in a legit way tax declaration wise and/or VAT wise, then obviously there won't be a problem as there will be official registration. If a 'hobby' seller does this, then he or she might end up with an additional problem: Reselling new parts ? mmmh.
    I'm not sure for Stripe, but Paypal for instance is considered a 'bank'. Banks (in the EU at least) need to report unusual amounts of moneyflows. It is also the reason, once one reaches around 2500 Euro of 'turnover' on Paypal, additional credentials need to be provided.
    So 'money' processors might simply be cautious about 'what' they are processing, simply because they have to and wanna avoid being in comptemt of laws
  • Well after I got that issue finally resolved, I now get emailed that I need 'verify' my identity and to login to my dashboard and follow the prompts. I login and there are zero prompts, messages etc to verify my identity. I have one small payment waiting, after I get that transferred I'll cancel my account as it's nothing buy headaches and hoops to jump through. I guess there is a good reason PayPal is still the biggest player for these type of services.