Bricks - would they be classes as acceptable or good?

Want to put up my sons bricks some of which are 20 years old!!! My question is how do people decide if their bricks are acceptable or good? None have cracks, chips etc but do have light scratches through play. I do not want to find that I am falsely advertising as good when you guys on here would only find them acceptable.
You are all so generous with your advise - really appreciate a site that have friendly people on here.
Here's hoping you can answer this question for me :)) :)) :))

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • personally, ( and i haven't had anyone say my parts are not as advertised ), older parts are used/good unless there are deep scratches ( bite marks etc ), chips, discolouration when they are either not listed or listed as acceptable; hope this helps
  • > @carlptaylor said:
    > personally, ( and i haven't had anyone say my parts are not as advertised ), older parts are used/good unless there are deep scratches ( bite marks etc ), chips, discolouration when they are either not listed or listed as acceptable; hope this helps

Thanks thats what i was thinking :-j So would i be right in thinking light scuffing/scratches not deep would be classed as good?
  • that is my rule of thumb, yes, but i would also myself "would i want to receive this piece if i was building something"

a little vague i know, but its all a little subjective.
  • @WESTIEKATH Based on your description I'd call them 'good'. Acceptable is when indeed there are more traces of use (heavier scratches, bitemarks, etc > Description required IMO). Like new is to be considered 'used once or twice at most' with hardly any nicks/scratches or any other playwear. Good is somewhere in between... I do recommend to 'stack' used parts and filter them out by a visual view, and/or use descriptions like 'a variaty of playwear, as these come form a mixture of bulk'. Buyers will rarely (*) discuss the quality of a part if the description was 'correct' to begin with...
    (*) always an exception possible offcourse > example: last year my family store sold white parts with a description saying: have some noticeable discolorisation. Buyer requested a refund because the parts where 'discolored' *sigh*
    I refunded the entire lot (5x2cent=10cent).
  • Tbh Robernat i have thrown many of my minifigure parts with bite marks as I didnt think anyone would want those!! Ha and youve just answered another question would discoloured bricks be acceptable - as some of my sons bricks are at least 20 years old some of the white ones are discoloured. I will be sure to mark them as discoloured.

Carlpytaylor - yes i would agree if i would not want it then i would not sell it either.
  • I think it's very much a personal opinion of what constitutes 'acceptable', 'good' and 'like new'. Personally I all but ignore 'like new' - a lot of the stock I accumulate may have had lots of play but also lots of care so still looks pretty good, but because I cannot say for certain it is listed as 'good'. Acceptable covers a wider range, but general rule of thumb would be more than a couple of obvious nicks/scratches, not quite as shiny, slight/possible discoloration - any are grounds for this category. Also, if the piece is older/rarer, I will accept that the chances of getting a pristine one might well be a struggle, so I will tolerate slightly heavier playwear and describe in greater detail any defects.

Generally I will look at the overall condition, so if the piece is nice and shiny, but still has a couple of nicks or scratches I would put as 'good', likewise one that isn't nice and shiny but has no noticeable damage.

It's worth mentioning that time plays a part. What I decided as 'good' or 'acceptable' 18 months ago might be different to what I classify now. It might be that as I come across parts while fulfilling orders I might reconsider their condition and either upgrade or downgrade them accordingly.

I'm glad this topic has been raised, as I have a lot of stock that I am on the fence about how to deal with. None of it is overly damaged (anything that has more bitemarks than actual Lego is disposed of!), but would be on the limits of my usual 'acceptable' criteria. Maybe I should list it, making sure to describe it accurately, and see what happens then reassess after a period of time.

James
  • If the surface is cloudy, but no cracks or nicks that would prevent a tight fit, I would list it as "Heavy playwear, suitable for filler brick." at a discount. Builders sometimes just need a lot of cheap parts for structure, that won't be seen in their final project. It doesn't matter if those are discolored or heavily scratched.

I list almost all my used tiles or things with shiny surfaces as "May have microscratches", to cover myself. If a part is really cloudy, or has deep scratches it goes into the "heavy playwear" category.

I have deep gratitude for one of our very early customers (Back when we were still OOO_Shiny) who pointed out (gently) that the parts we sent him were very heavily scratched, and should have been listed accordingly.

Another thing to look for on old bricks are side moulding pips. If you look at a stack of bricks, and see an almost identical "tooth mark" on many of them, that is the original injection site, not a bite mark. If you are feeling particularly precise, you can list them as such, since purists completing older sets may want that generation of brick.

Also on old bricks, particularly 1x1 or 1x2, stack them and look down the side for cracks. I found that the cracks show up much better when connected, since they get a bit of spread.

Happy sorting!
    Dawn
    Pretty_Pieces
  • Oh heck - very confused now. I have started listing now - plates mostly at moment as i know those are good! Bricks i am feeling really apprehensive about - really don't want to advertise as good then find a customer is disappointed as they might feel they should have been listed as acceptable. Wondering whether to bother putting bricks up at all! Obviously the ones i am finding with obvious defects i am putting as acceptable but its the other ones with scuff marks through play wear i am not so sure of. They are shiny and no obvious gaps when fitted together but its those general scuff marks!! It would be really interesting to see what other sellers/buyers feel about condition of bricks etc.
    Thanks for all your advice though :-h
  • I have 3 classes of parts: New, used and playwear.

New is obviously new, never been clicked together, used in a display, etc.

Used is a wider category ... stretches from "could be New but I don't know for 100% sure" to "really nice and shiny" to "minor nicks and/or a few micro-scratches"

Playwear goes from "minor or major nicks and/or more than a few micro-scratches" ...to "Lots of nicks, bites, discoulouration, total loss of shine"

Age and rarity of the part plays a part in it as well. Rare, older parts I tend to tolerate more wear as still be acceptable.

As I've said before, If it has the LEGO logo on it, regardless of condition, somebody will buy it and be happy with it so long as you describe the defects and price it accordingly.
  • I second what Grego said. I once had a space flag that was chewed, gnarly sticker and missing it's bottom stud completely. A customer happily bought it, and used it in a "crash landing on mars" MOC. Other people list minifig weapons as "battle damaged" and they sell.

I think light scuffs on used bricks are fine. Even bricks from new sets have the occasional light scratch from jumbling around in the bag. It's when the whole surface is cloudy or discolored that it should be downgraded.

Happy selling, and don't stress about it. Err on the side of good quality. If you guessed wrong and a customer isn't happy, and lets you know, make it right for them with a replacement or partial refund. You will likely earn a repeat customer if you handle mistakes well.

Dawn
    Pretty_Pieces
  • Great thanks and Pretty Pieces that sounds like fab advice - as you say if people arent happy then i will learn by mistakes and rectify them. You have put my mind at rest so better start listing then :))
  • Brickowl has a page explaining the quality of LEGO. (Personally I will delete like new ... it's new or not ...)

https://www.brickowl.com/help/item-conditions

Used (Like New)

This condition is for used Lego, that has had a previous life, maybe being built or played with but that have been treated so well that they are in a similar condition to new parts. They may have hairline scratches but they should not have any major damage such as dents or chips.

Used (Good)

This Condition is for Used Lego, that has had a previous life, maybe being built or played with. These items may have some minor damage such as a few small scratches or dents.

Used (Acceptable)

This Condition is for Used Lego that has seen better times, they may have dents, chips or scratches and the colour may have faded. This condition is also used by default if a seller has imported their inventory from elsewhereand has not specified what condition their used parts are in.
  • Thanks rebrique never even saw that page :|
    Going by those descriptions think im on the right lines.
  • Personally I use the conditions the following way:

Used (Like New): Only when I find something in a used pile I'm sure is new. This is very rare but for example sometimes you find parts still on the sprue. It wouldn't be honest to call them new (since they were in a used pile) but they were obviously never used. As such: Like New
    Used (Good): Pretty much all of the used Lego if it's in a good condition. For me that means playwear only without any damage affecting the appearance (except for normal scratching) or use of the piece. I would be happy to use any of these pieces myself.
    Used (Acceptable): Only for rare pieces which have been damaged or are missing a small part. For example a Black Seas Barracuda flag with a broken clip or a crane assembly missing the spring.

Common parts which are heavily scratched, dented or damaged are thrown away. Heavily discoulered parts are collected in bins per colour, I'm still hoping to set up an efficient brightening process someday.

Of all the 6152 used lots I currently have in my inventory only 27 each have been graded as Like New and 33 as Acceptable. So only around 0,01% of my used parts aren't graded as Good.
  • Thanks Brickgenie - it rally looks like everyone is selling their bricks in a similar way #:-S