How to force search to exact term?

I thought it used to work(ish) however when I search my inventory and use “ ” with the term inside I get a randomness including the exact term between “ ”

Private note is where I store stock location, I use a letter then a number

so for example I attempted searching by location “K-13” I get a random order of results of not only K-13 but includes K-02 K-04 K-06 K-03 K-20 K-17 and more

This is making moving stock from location to location near impossible.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Graham Where exactly are you putting that in? I tried myself in the top bar 'inventory', typed I-02 (so I have a very similar storagebox numbering to yours) and the only listings that turned up is everything in my I-02 box (including listings with an additional bag number). I did not use any brackets, apostrophe or anything else, just I-02, works fine
  • Hi Eric

Tried again without quotation marks - still get a mix. I am using the search (inventory) in the BrickOwl header.

Typed K-12 got results for K-12 along with some K-07

There must be a way to force search for exact phrase!

Cheers Graham
  • @robernat Just tried the same with my original example K-13, get the same results with and without quotation marks :(
  • Is your browser doing something funky with the " ?

Your post above shows “ ” not " ".
  • I can confirm searching "K-13" with normal " quotes in your inventory only returned 15 results which seemed correct.
  • @Lawrence
    Interesting, on my old mac (with Firefox) it returns the correct results i.e. 15, but on my iPad (Safari) it is messed up.

I've switched over to iPad for convenience so i'd like to sort this out.

@Hoddie the iPad uses opening and closing quotation marks the Mac doesn't so yes that could be it, so what would be the fix? Other than don't use iPad, which isn't an option as i've already bought it to replace my tired (old) laptop!

Thanks
  • I have no experience of iPads but perhaps that's a functionality that can be turned off? Alternatively, Lawrence could change the code so that both “ and ” are replaced with " in the search string - clearly this would affect more than just you if it's an iPad issue so this may be the better option.
  • Thank you for explaining where those quotes came from, we have now put in place a fix for that and have confirmed it works with those quotes.
  • the lesson: old fashion guys like me who work on desk~ and laptops don't have those problems, young fashioned guys using Ipads, smartphones and whatever notice 'issues' and then webmasters need to deal with it... The more technology progresses the more IT problems need to be solved. In 200 years, 6 of 10 people will try to solve problems of the 2 out of 10 people that produce food and other primary things, after 2 of 10 tried to understand the problem from the 2 out of 10 using the 'electronic device' , then the 2 out of 10 analyses it and then tries to explain the 6 out of 10 what the problem is and asks how it can be solved...
    Life sure was easier before LOL
  • Thanks @Lawrence
    And thanks @robernat “young fashioned” this old geezer quite likes that ?. Must admit I prefer pre PC* days. These days seems everyone spends most of their lives staring at one screen or another, all my kids have a bedroom/cubical and only surface for food. Other than when the internet goes down, then they actually go outside...

* when PC was “personal computer”
  • Lolol robernat, well said! This old girl (does 50 make me old?) cheerfully remembers working in Wordstar on a Kaypro machine (what was that, CPM?) at home, and watching folks use punchcards to code at work... ;;)