How do you store your lego heads?

Just wondering if any of you can help me with tips on how do you store your lego heads. I have many and it takes me hours to sift through them when i am looking for one in particular. Any tips please?

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • New I bag by part number as I get them in tiny grip seal bags with a scrap of paper with the part number. Used I stack in such a way that they are easy to distinguish.

With both, I leave detailed descriptions on my inventory so I can find them quickly and accurately.
  • Ah right unfortunately i dont always know the part numbers but thanks for the advice - sounds like you have it sorted :)
  • I store them in different drawers by stud type, and stack by color, and then smaller sort by "beards" or "female" or "glasses" or some other easily identifiable feature at a glance. When I am trying to find a specific one, it is easy to rotate the "bearded" stack to see all of them and find the right one.
  • Thats a good idea Pretty Pieces - i will try that - thank you
  • That sounds like you'll end up playing "Guess Who" every time you need to find a particular head. Surely it's just easier to store them either in trays with multiple compartments or simply in bags with appropriate labels?
  • The challenge is then that you wind up with hundreds of bags, with one or two heads in each. I'd rather spend the time to find a head as it sells, than to make all the labels. Since I sell on two platforms (Bricklink and BrickOwl) and they each have different naming conventions, it would get even more complicated. Last is a space issue. My heads are currently in 3 small stack-on drawers, by stud type. If they were in individual bags, they'd need considerably more space. But to each his own. If I was trying to complete minifigures, it would possibly make more sense to sort them by figure/series.
  • Organizing the storage of heads (or anything else for that matter) is something one needs to figure out based on own 'amounts' and variaty. I store them quite compact (5 boxes of 1.5 liter) , a box (-number), a baggie(-number) and ID (I use BLID, but BOID could be used just as well). Those 3 tags go in my remarks field...
    Large quantities go in 1 bag, medium amounts go with 2 or 3 or 4 different ones in a bag, smaller amounts can go up to 10-12 different ones in a baggie. I do try to make them very different from one another, like male and female, or different colors (yellow/flesh/red/white/etc), beard or no beard, black prints or brown prints, or the mix of all of that, anything is good enough to avoid picking mistakes.
    + I always do a visual doublecheck 'online' before shipping a head out (and I rarely catch a mistake).

Works fine for me, alltough I have around 2000 heads in stock (not all activated), with +250 different ones for sale, I manage quite easely on orders... A good organisation (=built from experiance) saves a lot of time on orders ;-)
  • Thank you all for your comments - i think its a case of what everybody finds good for them. Will try different methods and see what suits me best :-)
  • Like others here I stack them facing the same way and according to face design, colour and gender per polybag. They're the only part I stack (connect) because I worry otherwise that the print may wear off if they are left to rub and knock against one another.
    I don't have a lot so It's a very simple process.
  • In a bag,in a box,in another box that is not labelled.

Then i forget where i put the box.
  • All the non printed ones in one drawer, stacked by color
    All the printed ones that not-yellow, sorted by base-color
    All the yellow ones sorted by gender, and the male ones subsorted by facial hair, glasses etc
  • As with all other parts, we have the minifig heads stored by BL item ID. The heads are in one of those stack-on units with small drawers.
  • some great comments and ideas here. Seem to me you all have ways that suit you. I dont have many up yet so think will go with Minifig man and many others on this one but thanks all for taking the time to reply.
  • I'm surprised nobody replied yet with "In a LEGO fridge" but I guess that's too dark of humor here LOL
  • > @JayB-SoCal said:
    > I'm surprised nobody replied yet with "In a LEGO fridge" but I guess that's too dark of humor here LOL

:)) :)) :))
  • > @JayB-SoCal said:
    > I'm surprised nobody replied yet with "In a LEGO fridge" but I guess that's too dark of humor here LOL

:)) =))

About storing lego heads (of the plastic kind ;) ), I have a plastic box with dividers that can be moved around based on how many parts there are of a certain category to store. (this worked great for me when I actually kept them organised. Now they're just in a big box... :-< )
  • > @Privet123ABC said:
    > > @JayB-SoCal said:
    > > I'm surprised nobody replied yet with "In a LEGO fridge" but I guess that's too dark of humor here LOL
    >
    > :)) =))
    >
    > About storing lego heads (of the plastic kind ;) ), I have a plastic box with dividers that can be moved around based on how many parts there are of a certain category to store. (this worked great for me when I actually kept them organised. Now they're just in a big box... :-< )

Oh dear Privet that sounds slightly worse than me - but only ever so slightly :D
  • > @WESTIEKATH said:
    > Oh dear Privet that sounds slightly worse than me - but only ever so slightly :D

:D
  • I keep all of my currently-unused minifigure torsos, legs, and heads together in one of my Heroica boxes. Not sorted in any way aside from "not currently on a minifigure".

I guess this means I don't own enough minifigures LOL
  • > @NathanMousey said:
    > I keep all of my currently-unused minifigure torsos, legs, and heads together in one of my Heroica boxes. Not sorted in any way aside from "not currently on a minifigure".
    >
    > I guess this means I don't own enough minifigures LOL

:)) :)) :)