Thoughts: What should go in an inventory?

At the moment we have parts and mini figures in inventories. Linked to the set we have instructions, packaging, stickers. Separately, some sets come with promotional items such as posters. There is also sometimes other packaging such as internal plastic trays.

Firstly, does anyone know of any other items that come in sets?

Secondly, should the inventories stay as they are now. Or do any people think the other items such as the stickers or instructions for example should actually be put "inside" the inventory?

I was thinking of making another kind of relation for things such as posters and then on the "Part Out" screen giving the option of including any of the other linked items.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First: Cards, for Chima and Ninjago

Second:
    Would it help to think about it as "what does the buyer consider to be in the set?"
    If I bought a set as 'complete', I would definitely expect it to contain the stickers.
  • I'd be fine with the last option - the part out screen giving the option of including them - I think that's pretty slick.
    If not, then I'd vote for at least stickers and instruction books to be part of the inventory - as long as it is part of the set. We can sell them when we part out sets, so I don't see why not.

Other things such as posters and catalogs you sometimes get in the box can be a little more tricky as they're not really part of the set and you may find that some markets have them but not others, so keeping the inventories accurate for the entire world may be harder.

• Firstly, does anyone know of any other items that come in sets?.
    There's a Technic Pen. Any still around are probably dried up, but they exist.

And some sets have batteries included- do you want to mess with that?
    They aren't made by LEGO, maybe just a mention of the part number is enough (CR2032 or whatever)

Some sets include a brick separator as part of the main inventory. Do you count that as a part?
  • I am thinking along the lines of the instructions and the stickers going in the inventory.

Just trying to consider if they would become an interference when browsing or editing the inventory, I don't think they would do much harm in the inventory, I think it would make it easier when parting out especially if parting out multiple quantities of the same set, and chances are you would want to list at least the sticker and possibly the instructions as well set dependent.

:-?
  • I'm happy with the way BL does it. Parts, stickers and minifigs as you would expect to be able to build the complete playable set. Brick separators as extras, posters and comic books unnecessary.

Brian
  • I think that there should be different "levels" of completeness possible. The full inventory would include everything, including those posters and brick separators etc.

Maybe the "extra" items would be controlable with checkboxes. When listing a set for sale, you'd check off it it includes those items.
  • I love the idea of different "levels" of completeness, or (maybe) a totally complete inventory with just a remark field "not necessary for building the set".
    Reasons:
    1) we get a catalog which many collectors were claiming (and their claims were never heard/followed on BL). So the BO catalog could become THE catalog, better than the other
    2) we would attract collectors (and their participation in catalog editing)
    3) we would avoid that sellers offer (older) sets as 'new complete/sealed' mentioning that there were no seals at the time
  • edited October 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    There is a nice incentive card in some of the Batman sets - a free download of a game - the "free" code is on the card - I'd imagine it (the card) has some re-sale value, but have no idea in regards To your question of including such items!

Pics and comic books WILL gain value later!
  • At the moment we have parts and mini figures in inventories. Linked to the set we have instructions, packaging, stickers. Separately, some sets come with promotional items such as posters. There is also sometimes other packaging such as internal plastic trays.

Firstly, does anyone know of any other items that come in sets?

Inventory cards and tray organizer cards for Dacta and LEGO Ed sets.

On that theme;

Teacher manuals and workbooks with some sharpies

Software, could be for instructions, programs to run products or teaching ideas

The bins and lids themselves of various sizes for certain sets

Paper/cardboad/magnetic things of various sizes for free or organized "learning play". Robot finds the magnetic part with a triangle shape, paper to make the lever look like an alligator, cardboard squares for free form story ideas....

Others;

sets within sets -- 66359

Secondly, should the inventories stay as they are now. Or do any people think the other items such as the stickers or instructions for example should actually be put "inside" the inventory?

Label stickers for bins I would put in the inventory, otherwise I like the system for part decoration stickers.

For "normal" sets with trays I like the idea of a separate packaging inventory. Put the fliers and some of the sundries in there.

Education sets or ones the trays are everyday use I think should be in inventory.

• On the "inside the inventory" thing.

I was commenting from a narrow perspective, more just looking through things online cleanly without thinking of meeting some sort of criteria.

I would want everything on a list if thinking of breaking a set into parts, working on that list it is easy to remove things.

Thinking of a listing policy for used set completeness is a different angle. Not my thing much but other input I have read sound good. Marc's check boxes my favorite.
  • HAHAHA, oh I read this whole thread without looking at the dates and was thinking very seriously about it and then I see the spam message is what brought it back to the top. Ahh well. Interesting read, none the less.
  • Oh man, SAME thing happened to me Leopard37! Got my brain moving on this subject for nothing. ;-)
  • Almost back at the beginning! What happened? I too started reading before noting the date