How do I mass update prices in BO using Brickstock (which raises the BO Lot ID challenge)?

Hi all! I'm realllllly hoping someone can help with this challenge.

I have a huge inventory setup in Brickstock that I uploaded to Brickowl with customized pricing, etc.

To be able to upload price updates (or other mass updates) via import, you HAVE to have the **Brickowl Lot ID** for each item.

I've downloaded (using the Backup option) my entire store inventory on Brickowl (which does have Lot IDs), but it is not readable by Brickstock. I can only manipulate it in Excel.

What I very, very much need is the ability to import the .csv or .xml file into Brickstock so that I have LOT IDs that I can use for mass price changes.

As many of you know, Brickowl does not read/parse the Brickstore "export-->mass update" option, either - 'cause there are no Lot IDs. Ergo, I need some way to get those LOT IDs out of BO and into Brickstock.

I do have a CLOSED Bricklink store that I never want to open (I've left that platform and wish to only sell here in Brickowl). I even tried Bricksync, thinking maybe that would give me a workaround, reluctantly uploading a mirror of my Brickowl inventory onto Bricklink - but Bricksync will not work with a closed Bricklink store.

I've also tried using Rebrickable (after a four-hour browse of this forum trying to solve this as a conversion platform, that was one idea I ran across), but that does not import Brickowl .xml or .xls (I tried both).

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't even make up a lookup table in Excel to try to populate the Lot ID field from the Brickowl export, since I have yet to find a way to get the content from Excel to Brickstock.

How does everyone here deal with mass price updates without having Lot IDs (short of manual changes or using Brickowl's mass update function - I have to do it offline manually as I customize a lot of prices).

I'm dealing with over 10.5K lots and 100K items.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated - I will try anything at this point and am even willing to pay for a tool or script. Thank you community in advance for any help/ideas that you have!

R,
Sandy

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The owl2bsx program will create a bsx file, minus those BO lots that it cannot identify (it will generate an error log so you can identify and manually update).
  • I've used that... and it's AWESOME. The problem is it does not list the Brickowl LOT IDs. :-( You need the Lot IDs to be able to do price updates, etc.
  • D> @Calibrick said:
    > I've used that... and it's AWESOME. The problem is it does not list the Brickowl LOT IDs. :-( You need the Lot IDs to be able to do price updates, etc.

Do you? I'm pretty sure you can update the prices through BrickSync without the LOT ID. It will probably throw you an error due to the closed BrickLink store (not BrickSync's fault by the way, BrickLink doesn't have a way to access a closed store through the api) but I think it should work. Or won't it work if it can't access BrickLink?
  • You can't get to the goodies inside BrickSync (which looks awesome) without having your Bricklink store open. So that kind of kills all of that.

I'm sure that's a BL vs. BS issue. :-( The BrickSync author seems super-active on this forum and a lifesaver to the community! Definitely not a ding on him or her. :-)

What I have done... since I'm handy with Excel to work around this (the first time is AGONY, but then it'll be automated thereafter). I've tested this with a small lot of items, it works for all kinds of updates:

1. Downloaded by BO inventory as a backup file in XML
    2. Saved by Brickstock inventory as a XML
    3. Opened both in Excel... along with my MyCost file that's in Excel by BL part number
    4. Saved my BO inventory as a .xlsx
    5. Manually inputting my Brickstock part numbers (ugh - but I'll power through) into the BO inventory in a temp column that I'll save off into a copy, then remove from what I upload
    6. Using VLOOKUP, auto-populating MyCost out of my own MyCost file into BO backup
    7. Using VLOOKUP, auto-populating my updated PRICES out of the Brickstock file
    Note, this gets tricky when you hit items that are in there in multiples due to the color... but those won't change in price often, either - I'll use Brickstock to only look for major price changes (% increase/decrease column) and can do those manually)
    8. Save the file under a new name
    9. Save the file as a .xml in Excel then upload THAT to Brickowl

Once it's all setup, I'll use some VisualBasic and macros to automate all of this, and will maintain the offline Brickstock part number field if I add more lots later.

This is literally all I've been able to come up with that Brickowl recognizes since I have custom (not based on the catalog) prices all over the place.

I guess a plus side, I've turned it into an overly-detailed QA check, so am verifying missing dimensions, weights, etc. into the catalog (and adding them), etc., as I go, since all of my shipping tables are dependent on these factors.
  • > @Calibrick said:
    > You can't get to the goodies inside BrickSync (which looks awesome) without having your Bricklink store open. So that kind of kills all of that.
    >

Hmm, that's annoying, I hoped that would work. It's really annoying BrickStock isn't updated anymore and that Patrick won't release the source for the newest version (although that's against the GNU license). It could really do with some fixes/changes. Although a whole rewrite would be best of course but I doubt anyone has the time/skills for that at the moment.
  • Well... Maybe someday @Stragus finishes and releases: https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/5545/brickmanager-little-preview

I suppose he is tweaking and improving it when he has some time, so when it is done it will be available. I hope to see it in the near future.
  • I'm watching Brick Manager like a hawk, too - I'd very cheerfully pay for that tool when it's available! (so long as it's not mandatory to have an open BL store)! :-)

It's a shame about BrickStock... I know several developers that might be happy to pitch in (especially with some financial incentive), depending on what it's coded in (e.g., PHP, Java, C++). And we know there are some awesome devs right here in our community!
  • If I understand your challenge correctly, here is workaround idea: Open your bricklink store temporarily, with a $10K (or other crazy big number) minimum buy. That way you won't need to turn away accidental orders. For courtesy, you could also change your bricklink splash page to say that your store is permanently closed to new orders, and if it shows open, it is for inventory adjustment purposes. Then do the uploading/downloading that you need to do, and close bricklink again.
    Would that work?
    Dawn
    Pretty_Pieces
  • Or you set your BL store to only ship to the Virgin Islands.
  • Pretty Pieces, that's actually what I ended up doing - opening a BL store for 2 minutes with insane prices, doing the download I needed, then closing it (actually, I probably should just close my account over there. Great minds!