Sets with multiple inventories part options/versions.

Hello,
came across a set today which I thought was inaccurately inventoried. Needless to say I have been informed the set has been released in different versions to contain different parts to achieve the same result. I believe this is not a re-release but perhaps sold in different parts of the world or at different times.
I would appreciate if people could list any sets they come across or have dealt previously that match this scenario and perhaps a warning can be then added to these sets. Please do not include sets that have been released for marketing - I am sure they are generally addressed in the catalogue (6067 being an example, Taj Mahal being another ).

So to start:
TMNT - The Shellraiser Street Chase 79104 - example: different tech parts are used in the van.

Thanks for your input.
Castle.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @castle Set 79104 is a true nightmare when it comes down to alternate parts, it wasn't related to 'different parts of the world' release but an entire remoddeling from TLG on the bottomside of the Shellraiser as the initial design was way to weak... There are other sets with such remoddelings, I've done one once on BL (set 8097-1), it was a nightmare to get it in with alternates (a full day work).
    Personally I would be more in favor of a 79104-1 and 79104-2 in the database, with each their specific inventory, at least 2 entry's make it clear there are 2 versions (with each their buildinginstruction), but it's up to Lawrence to decide on that...
    Sidenote: there are about 60 parts 'more' in the later (technic) version compared to the original release, that's near impossible to handle with alternates
    +
    I notice on BL it has also been splitted into 2 seperate entries, 3 years after it's release, didn't quite knew or remember that, I can only assume they realised one set entry with 4 or 5 dozen alternates wasn't workable...

@lawrence: can we have such exceptions in the database please? -1 and -2 for sets with many alternates?
  • The Creator VW Camper Van is another with two different constructions, and WALL-E too.
  • > @Hoddie said:
    > The Creator VW Camper Van is another with two different constructions

Was about to mention this one. Never quite found out where those 2 extra tiles go though, do you know?
  • Something to do with strengthening the roof I think. Not sure, I had the older version and the roof was poorly done.