Typo Or What?

Why is "Grey" always spelt wrong in relation to the Lego Colour?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The AFOL community generally uses American spellings in relation to Lego. Gray, mold, etc.
  • edited January 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Tire/Tyre is another one, personally it doesn't bother me, being 'non English' I've learned to live with both spellings of certain words.
  • Ah... I ignored the obvious.
    Let's go Danish and settle for Grå. ;)
  • Make it multi-lingual: Grau in German, nearly the same! :-)
  • "Gray" and "Grey" are both used interchangeably and always have been around me. I don't think it's a US/UK thing. I know I've always preferred it with an A instead of an E.
  • edited July 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Both forms are acceptable spellings in British English, but grey is by far the most common in every English-speaking country except the US, where gray dominates. Gray fell out of common use in the UK back in the 1800s (except when using the SI unit 'gray' which is named after British physicist Harold Gray).
  • Yes, I'm unsure why us Americans stubbornly insist on being different from everyone else in spelling words, etc. (metric vs. imperial system, anyone? I really wish we'd stayed metric when we got our feet wet in the 70s/80s, it's sooooo much easier to learn and calculate!). ;)
  • It's one of those very minor "separated by a common language" things like certain swears being more offensive in French-speaking Canada than in France itself or vice-versa. Or Lift/Elevator, Hood/Bonnet (car part), First Floor/Ground Floor (synonyms in USA, First Floor in UK being Second Floor in USA), British putting a U in colour, glamour, and armour, and a great many other small changes across different regions speaking the same language.
  • The first floor in the UK is the second floor in the USA? I didn't know that one... I learned something today, how interesting! Thanks! :-)
  • In Dutch ground floor is “begane grond” and shows as “BG” in elevators. The floor above ground floor is first floor. This sometimes confuses Dutchies when they ride an elevator abroad. Wanting to go down to ground floor they instinctively press “B” and end up in the basement...

Niek.