Base material for LEGO parts

Everyone knows that most parts are cast from ABS plastic. But there are softer plastics and tires and other bits that are obviously not the same chemical compound. While browsing parts on TLG's B&P site, I found that the skinny wheelbarrow tire is listed as "Tyre, sebs". Ever curious, I looked this up. Apparently SEBS is styrene-ethylene-butadiene-styrene, a compound with similar properties to rubber.

Any other insights into the chemical makeup of LEGO pieces?

Dag

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Transparencies and some other stiff parts are Polycarbonate. This was the reason for Jamie Berards building techniques manual for LEGO designers recommending not to use high grip connections [like sliding a part onto a bar] between and PC and PC as they weld together over time. The PC recipe seems to have been tweaked as this is now 'legal'.
    EDIT: Should have linked his guide [http://bramlambrecht.com/tmp/jamieberard-brickstress-bf06.pdf]
  • Right and CA (Cellulose Acetate) is the plastic of older LEGO pieces. It's the rubbery bits that have eluded me for so long.
  • Yeah, the rubber types are a pain. I wanted to find a replacement for the smallest technic bands for a ball contraption, and I couldn't find any information of LEGO's bands. I ended up using some silicon hair bands for styling afros.