How to create new stickered items?

Hello Brick Owl community,

First of all, I want to introduce us at SPIELTRAUMWELT. We are a family (me - 36, two sons - 12 and 5, one daughter - 10) who have a big passion for LEGO. We run now since two years a small professional business for trading with LEGO. You can read more in our "about me" page.

Since two weeks we have also uploaded our inventory to Brick Owl. And I found out that a lot of stickered parts I have available are not yet listed at Brick Owl. I want to add them to the Brick Owl inventory, but the helping page is not very helpful (comment on page "under construction").
Can you please help me that I can extend the Brick Owl database (approx. 130 parts)? How do I have to add the stickered parts, put a relationship between the stickered part and the unstickered part and how can I upload a picture for this part? I have tried it, but I have really failed.

Thank you very much for your help and have a great week.
Best regards from Black Forest, Germany,
Oliver.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Oliver
    first: great to add items to the catalog, but attention: only original Lego Stickers!
    Howto: go to the uncolored part without sticker. Click on 'edit'. On the edit page go down and choose 'create stickered part. Then on the new page that opens add in the 'Name field '... with Sticker from Set ... (put number of the set). In 'part ID' put 'UNKNOWN'. Further down in the 'note' field give ian explanation , for instance colour, where part comes from etc. Then, at the bottom, click on submit. When the item is approved, you'll get an email telling you that the item is approved. Then you can go to this item, and add dimensions, weight etc. and a photo (Attention, photo only against the colour of the part).
  • Hello Aladine,
    perfect explanation. I'll try it tomorrow. And for sure, I'll add only original and genuine stickers. I hate fakes and replica in any manner.
    Maybe the catalogue admins could take your explanation and add it to the "creation help page".

Best regards,
    Oliver.
  • Hi Oliver
    some more info to photo: when item is approved, there is not yet the color info to choose. So you have to add this part in the correct colour (either by adding it to your inventory or to your wishlist). Then you can add the photo to the correct colour. If you don't want the part to stay in your inventory or wishlist, you can now delete it (the chosen colour will remain as standard colour for the item).
    BTW, Explanation for the creation help list should be done by someone with better English. But if you have problems, contact me and I'll help in German.
    Renate
  • Hello,
    always good see others adding to the catalogue, we have plenty of blanks to fill in...a little less confusion when looking for parts will make the site better!! Unfortunately it does take a little time and effort but I am sure that others will appreciate your effort.
    Taking photos will also test your patience, so a good camera/phone will help!

Castle.
  • Aladin and Castle,
    Thank you so much for your help and your support. Next week I'll have some time to add the first stickered parts.
    My aim is always to improve the pages a little bit when I am part of that community.

Have a great weekend,
    Oliver.
  • Hello Oliver,
    Brick Owl has a few incentives to add to the inventory as you probably seen. I have passed the first milestone in the two and half months I have been on board, so not hard to achieve (Yes I am bragging and a little too vain). And I have barely dented what is needed. My suggestion as you do an order, look for any missing information on an item and fill in the blanks...if you have the piece then you hold the key to unlocking the puzzle.

Treating the inventory updates as a game and knowing there is a reward, makes it a lot of fun.

Also expect the odd rejection...if you do not understand the rejection and explanation, look back here or contact Lawrence - he is very considerate and quick, but not perfect...which means that we can get to keep him on his toes!

So having earned a piece of cheese....will let say there is a long way to go to match other members who have worked harder and longer! I have to say consider what it takes to earn a few points, I can hardly believe how much effort and time others have put in.

Castle.
  • Hey,
    now I have started to add the first stickered parts. It's easier than I have expected. But it's not yet the end of the day, I have to wait for the approval before I can add the missing information (dimensions, etc.) and the picture. Let's see if this would be that easy, too.

Regards,
    Oliver.
  • Excellent to hear of others adding and updating the inventory.
    I've recently been working on Women of NASA Set 21312. Not always easy but is always worth it.
    In my experience, it is new sets that are slow to be updated here, but I do what I can - time permitting. And yes, I make plenty of mistakes but it's just another learning curve.
    I wish more users would help out. And for those who do the work of editing and adding items to the inventory, I take my hat off to you.
  • Good Evening,
    Now I have added the pictures for the first stickered parts. It's not a very intuitive way to add them, but it has worked.
    I'll send some suggestions how to make the process a little bit more comfortable for the users.

Have a nice weekend,
    Oliver.