Have TLG run out of ideas?

So many Star Wars sets are simply re-issued with a couple of different parts, and a different set number.

Now they re-issue Taj Mahal- looks pretty much identical, why? There are so many other amazing structures throughout the world!

/gripe

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No design costs when you issue the same set...I dunno. I'm no fan of this trend. Wonder if they will touch the modulars.
  • Lepin is stealing LEGO designs and produces LEGO's retired sets, so why not LEGO do that themselves and get back some of the sales that are going to Lepin.
    Not a fan either but that does not bother me.
  • Never heard of Lepin before. TLG needs to lower their prices!
  • The thing that TLG do that riles me is to revamp/re-release a model but with fewer parts and yet the price (at TOR) is equal or more expensive, plus the model doesn't look as accurate.
    This almost riles me as much as it did when TLG stopped using doors on most of their cars and trucks. I mean, how the hell is a minifig gonna get inside if I'm not around to take the roof off?! ;)
  • > @waynstar said:
    > The thing that TLG do that riles me is to revamp/re-release a model but with fewer parts and yet the price (at TOR) is equal or more expensive, plus the model doesn't look as accurate.
    > This almost riles me as much as it did when TLG stopped using doors on most of their cars and trucks. I mean, how the hell is a minifig gonna get inside if I'm not around to take the roof off?! ;)

.....that is TLG in a nutshell!
  • > @Graham said:
    > Never heard of Lepin before. TLG needs to lower their prices!

Lepin is vastly inferior to Lego, it might look the same but doesn't work as well.

> @waynstar said:
    > The thing that TLG do that riles me is to revamp/re-release a model but with fewer parts and yet the price (at TOR) is equal or more expensive, plus the model doesn't look as accurate.

Pretty sure that if you take in account 10 years of inflation the price is pretty much the same. Also isn't it exactly the same parts-wise?
  • @Graham : interesting read, brickset review of the Super Star Destroyer https://brickset.com/article/29578/review-lepin-super-star-destroyer
  • Hello,
    Lego repeat on plenty of occasions, look at city, how many fire and police stations....so few hospitals, fire and criminals sorted, too bad for your sick minifig!
    Castle is another one, how many castles, catapults and kings carriages have they done?
    Space is a little better with different aliens and space themes etc.
    Friends...release of the dolphin cruiser, in a different form.
    But with everything they do they miss out on the important aspects mostly, the play ability of everyday stuff is missing. Sleeping and eating is poorly addressed. Restaurants, hotels, farmers, zoos, market places, and many items are missing to flesh out the everyday life of a minifig. Sure the modular stuff address this is you have a fat wallet, but the average kid does not.
    Having spent so much on moulds over the years there is surprising how many every day items are hard to find, especially animals.
    Anyone who has run though the "eras" of Lego first hand will tell you Lego take up a theme and then drop the ball....and they sometime have another go and repeat the same crap...and the complain that the whole thing was a waste and move onto something else.
    For a medium of imagination, Lego is a prime example of ironically having no imagination.

Accept that it is the MOC builders, collectors and kids that keep Lego alive, rather than TLG!

Castle.
  • I'm reasonably confident that TLG have done 100s of studies and polls over the years, not to mention expensive market research, all of which tells them that police and fire stations are guaranteed winners. It cannot simply be that they have no imagination, after all they've created entire award-winning ranges like Friends and Ninjago, and recently became the world's most valuable toy brand.

As an AFOL you're looking at it from a different angle. Adults can afford to splurge on big setups, streets of modular buildings, entire towns, etc. and the lack of a post office and hospital is easy to spot. An average kid will likely have a couple of big sets at most, alongside a load of pocket-money sized smaller ones. Given the choice, most kids interested in the City theme would pick a police station over a hospital any day.

Some people keep whining that they release the same old vehicles in the Star Wars theme, yet this theme consistently proves to be their biggest winner, so they're clearly doing something right. Sure, those who own the entire range, or close to it, might like to see a bit of variety, but those buying just a handful of sets would rather have the main ships/vehicles than the more niche stuff.

Could TLG cater to everyone? Possibly, but they're probably already over-reaching. Seem to remember something on Brickset not long ago that showed they released vastly more sets in recent years than in any earlier period in their history.
  • > @Hoddie said:

>
    > Some people keep whining that they release the same old vehicles in the Star Wars theme, yet this theme consistently proves to be their biggest winner, so they're clearly doing something right. Sure, those who own the entire range, or close to it, might like to see a bit of variety, but those buying just a handful of sets would rather have the main ships/vehicles than the more niche stuff.
    >
    >

Not "whining" an observation... personally I don't care I'm not a Star Wars fan, however some examples outside of the re-issue Falcon.
    Death Star #3 now - very similar models 10188 & 75159 almost identical 10188 went OOP within a few weeks out came 75159 at a much higher price point - a lot more than inflation alone. Not complaining I can sell my copies of the older models below the price of the new one and still make a tidy profit.

Same with the other Falcon 7965 went out to be immediately replaced with 75105

I imagine TLG are trying to get those "rabid" collectors to buy the same thing again. Although it may not be working that well the "normal" price for 75105 is now under $120 with msrp @ $149

The PPP is way higher on average than a few years ago - maybe due to high inflation in Denmark? Certainly isn't anywhere close to reflecting inflation here in the US.
  • As a side note I wonder how long it will be before before TLG release a set with an MSRP over $1000?

Apple just did it with a phone!