adding decorated parts

Hello,
I want to add parts with stickers for set 76049. What is the pathway to adding these items to the catalogue please?

Castle.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Castle, this is pretty straightforward. On the main entry for a part (say, 2x2 tile) click on the 'Edit' tab. Scroll down until you see some blue buttons; one is marked 'Create Stickered Version'. Click this and a new tab will open. All you need to do is give a bit more info in the box at the bottom of this page (which set it's from, maybe some idea of where it appears on the sticker sheet and set), and submit it. After a few days, if approved, you'll get an email asking you to edit the item further, adding more detail to the name (e.g. 2x2 tile with xxxx sticker from set yyyy) and possibly a photo although this can be done later and is a lot easier when there is a coloured piece to add against. Submit the further info and hopefully it should be approved a short while later. Hope this helps! Shout if you need further assistance!
    Regards
    James
  • Hello Jay37,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Have gotten to the window relationship. How do I chose the set and sticker. I have tried a couple of options to add item, (but unlike the add item to inventory screen for sets), double clicking either the sticker or the set is ignored.
    It seems I must needs be doing something different.
    Castle
  • Hi Castle, I'm not sure I'm understanding your issues correctly; are you trying to add the part to 76049's inventory at the same time? Generally speaking the stickered and decorated parts are tied to their parent sets either by name (e.g. 2x2 tile with xxxx sticker from set 76049, thereby showing up when a set is searched for by number), or after the event of successful creation of the part in the catalog, being added to the set's inventory (not sure if this is an automatic process, instigated by Admin, or user submission). As an example, search for set 7579 - this brings up three (at present) stickered items associated with that set. However, checking the set inventory reveals the unstickered items only are included. Set 5870 is similar, but here one of the two stickered items appears in the inventory as well.

It could also be you're trying to edit against a specific colour - the Create Stickered / Decorated Version options don't appear here. Look for the hyperlink 'edit the normal uncolored version' at the top of the edit tab.

Is this of any more use to you?

James
  • Hi James,
    I will let you known when I get confirmed or rejected by BO. I think I was travelling to far down the screen. I have filled in the first part of the screen and submitted. I think I still need to polish this a bit. But will keep trying. I have quite a collection of items I want into the catalogue. So hopefully the admin will be kind.
    Thanks for your time and patience, like everything else, a little learning, a few steps and I will get there. Already halfway to my first freebie for contributions so I will keep trying.
    Castle.
  • HI Castle, no problem. It took me a little while to get my head round things too, but I find it a rewarding aspect to selling here (and a nice side bonus is it's helped improve my photography skills no end).

James
  • Hello James,
    I agree the photography side is a learning curve...also having good equipment helps.

Next question: how do I deal with the situation when I have the same element and different sticker such as 60082, where 3009 is on either side of the buggy and the sticker is different for each. I was rejected when I tried to add a left and right side.

Castle.
  • edited October 2017 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Castle Upon rejection, BO admin usually mentions the reason for the reject. To me the 'add' for a left and right sided is legit, but you may have named it wrong or described it wrong, so it might be good to read the reason if any was mentioned. You can also reply to the 'reject' mail to request more info about it...
    General tips:
    Do not use Bricklinks naming of a stickered part description, as you might be rejected on it.
    Don't put setnumbers in decorated or stickered parts, use the 'tags' function for such
    Describe what you see and simply write readable text (unlike BL), and add additional keywords also in the 'tags' if usefull. Capitals for keywords, small letters for standard words like 'and', 'with' etc
    The 'tags' function is a very helpfull feature on BO to add much more links to a variaty of things, so certainly something to use more often, keywords help users find stuff (or discover additional stuff) in relation to certain sets or possible decorations ;-)
  • @RobErNat Thanks for your other helpful tips. One question though, you mention to not put set numbers in decorated or stickered parts. I do this as a matter of course and have never had any rejected because of this. I know that if you add the set number as a tag it should still show on a search for that set, but I think having it in the name adds clarity and tells someone immediately it is connected. Obviously I would only do this if the part is specific to one set only (I would guess stickered parts are mostly unique to a particular set, whereas decorated could appear in more than one).
  • For stickered parts we usually have it in the name with "from Set xxxx" but printed parts tend not to.

@Castle like @Robernat says just reply to any rejection email if you're unclear about the reason, I believe it's just been naming issues so far
  • @lawrence I believe we privatly discussed a long time ago it was not usefull to add 'from set XXXX' on stickered items as tags can be used for such. In the end it can clutter up certain descriptions as in some cases, stickered items sometimes 'return' and the description will look like 'from set xxxx, and set xxxx and set xxxx. After switching my mailserver program I cannot retrace old mails, but on the other hand, it's not that important either in the first place, description or tag, the result is the same ;-)
  • That wouldn't surprise me at all, you're absolutely right, doesn't matter if it's a tag or in the name