E cheque, is it able to block these?

Just had a nice sized order, however the buyer has paid via E cheque, is there anyway to force full payment on order or no order? Not happy to wait until 28th Sep to 2nd Oct as PayPal quotes for payment to clear, if it clears.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Never had one not clear, but I would still wait before sending. Isn't it better to wait and when it most likely clears pick and post the order rather than leave the stock sitting there hoping it sells?
  • I won't pick until it clears, but you miss my point. I do not want to take e cheques, you may have had no issue, others including myself have. Other market places my policy is buy it now, not use the e cheques because if will clear when paid etc.
  • Sorry I missed your point, I didn't think you were trying to restrict sales, I thought you said you were not happy to wait in case it didn't clear.
  • If you go to your settings in PayPal you can block E-cheque payments. At least you can in the US not sure with other countries
  • Hello,
    I have placed in my terms and conditions that I will NOT accept Echeques domestically because an EFT can be completed quicker. I figure if they want the PayPal Protection so badly then the can get their crap together and sort out their account or waste someone's time. I have sold stuff through Fleabay and had to sit on it for up to 2 weeks....so no money and no option to resell to get the money. Personally I think that we need an option to charge fees/taxes/interest on Echeques because of the delays to cash flow.
    Sorry but PayPal accounts are free to setup and the rest of us have to be verified, so why should a potential scumbag be entitled to pay using an Echeque and then claim they never received the item/s or the quality was not as advertised and get a refund through PayPal!
    The biggest thing that concerns me using PayPal is the stories of how bias PayPal seems to be in favour of buyers - so I agree they are an awful product and not in anyway helpful in running a business where cash-flow is needed by smaller stores to constantly update stock!
    And also on the clearance date...I have issues with PayPal supposed dates - these dates are open to change without explanation, notification or support from PayPal. Also as a seller we are expected to keep track of these clearances to send the item onward - because you can NOT send the item until the payment is cleared, obviously it is unpaid for and secondly if you want seller protection - there is none until authorised clear by PayPal.
    I feel for you for being forced to wait - generally speaking they do clear - but I think you have to decide whether the money is worth the wait, and I would be adding T and C's to your store so you can cancel without notice - clearly I think they are a sellers hazard and should be discontinued. And it would help if Brick Owl and other web site operators supported sellers, contacted PayPal and ditched them permanently.
    Sorry will get off my soapbox now....

Castle.
  • @Castle please be more consideriate with your language, this is a forum frequented by all users of Brick Owl.

You may want to look into your Paypal settings to see if you have control over this. Often it is something a customer is not even aware of where PayPal have independently decided to send the payment as an echeque.
  • Nobody is forcing you to use PayPal.
  • Hello,
    Sorry for any offence to anyone I guess us Aussies can be a little colourful and LOUD with our language - part of interacting with all those convicts that where hoisted onto us a couple hundred years ago...

Unfortunately Hoddie PayPal is one of the only options available to Australians wishing to trade with customers overseas. Unlike Europe and the US we are way behind in the area of international trade. Although there though there maybe new options around if I look, but it would require customers to have a desire to make an effort to open accounts. And like most things, customers look for easy solutions. For this reason my policy of rejecting Echeques is only for domestic buyers.

And Lawrence also I sell on other sites and make it clear that I do not accept Echeques, and since doing so I have stopped getting them, so there must be information that the buyers are aware of, prior to the payment, because I also have gotten more EFT payments instead. I may have also lost sales which I may not be aware of. Which is part of the difficulty surrounding them, accept, do not accept etc. but at least the sale I get, is completed quicker!

Castle.
  • @castle As other mentioned, check you paypal settings under merchant preferences, my profile, block payments. It might not be called 'echeck' but rather 'non instant payments', use the tickbox to change your settings, done.
    Sidenote: Besides PP, there is also 'Stripe', your customers do not need an account, just a CC ;-)
  • PayPal isn't the only available option anywhere, there are always alternatives. Truth is though, buyers usually prefer PayPal because it helps prevent them being scammed. This aspect of the PayPal service - buyer protection - is disliked by sellers, but it's one of the reasons PayPay's fees remain competitive (versus traditional merchant services).
  • Hello,
    thanks for your advice.
    Castle