Just want to say "thanks".

Well, we made it though Irma. We just wanted to say a great big "thanks" to family, friends, neighbors, and strangers that all stood by us and helped. Even just a friendly word or an ear willing to listen to us vent our frustrations at the situation made a world of difference. Special thanks go out to the linemen that got our power back up and running in a mere five days when so many are still without. Also to the workers who got the wi-fi back up after only six days. We finally feel like we've rejoined the rest of the world.
For those that are still waiting, we're here for you and, boy, can we relate.
To whatever cosmic influence that spared us from the worst of the storm: we are grateful. Just the thought of cleaning and recovering hundreds of thousands of LEGO pieces was giving us nightmares. Nightmares that, thankfully, never became a reality.
Looking forward to continuing to serve our fellow LEGO lovers,
Randy and Shannon

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow!
    I am in Australia. It is good to hear that you are okay. The media in Australia are a little up and down on what is happening over there. Mostly they are concerned with North Korea and what your President is up to.
    From what I have read, it was not as bad as predicted and it seems many people wished they had stayed home rather than evacuate - is this true?
    Hope your fellows are quickly sorted and back in their homes so things can get back to normal. Been through the odd bit of bad weather myself so I understand what you have gone through. It tends to be a bit startling to see what Mother can do to anything not properly fixed down.

Wish you all the best.
    Castle.
  • It was a tough decision to stay, but we did. Unfortunately, Irma didn't really follow anywhere near the route predicted so I had many friends that decided to evacuate and then ended up directly in the path of the storm. There are parts that got hit hard. We were predicted to be directly in the eye, but she came ashore much further south than expected and, fortunately, the back side fell apart before she got here. As a result, we've been mostly picking up branches, which is much better than picking up houses.
    We will be coming to visit your beautiful country in about two years for our 25th wedding anniversary. It will be a once in a lifetime trip and, if you have any advice or ideas of things not to miss, we are open to suggestions as we still have plenty of time to plan.
    Don't get me started on the President and North Korea. Personally, I wish they'd just pick up a ruler and get this "whose is bigger" contest over with before they nuke the entire planet.
    Thanks for your well wishes, Castle.
  • Hello,
    Sounds like the storm was a typical thing with Mother!
    Which part/s of Australia were you hoping to visit?
    We are similar in size to the US so there is a lot to see and do. Basically we are wet near the coast and drier inland, and go from tropical climate to near Antarctic - from north to south. So it is impossible to see everything. We have the typical tourist things like the Sydney bridge and opera house, and a few natural features.
    But the best way to see the country is to get off the beaten track. Hire a 4wd and head off down the road - stay wherever as required at the end of the day.
    (And ignore stupid movies like the "Wolf Creek" movies - they make me cringe in so many ways. Our corrupt and stupid cops are not that stupid - that they would have been able to track their way back to the house after the first victim escaped. And in the second movie, if you want to dodge a tractor with a trailer - just do a U-turn, mostly our roads are so narrow, the truck driver would take at least 20 minutes changing directions, and mostly you would get help by then...stupid movies!!!)
    Most major roads have brown signs for tourists, which lead you on funny roads to strange and interesting locations. My best holidays have been with out planning and staying in holiday shacks where you supply your own stuff - hotel and motel food are good for a few days, after that unless you are currently living on them - your body will do strange things and you will find yourself in McDonalds with pregnancy cravings! (Our food can be very rich and filling and also expensive! But very enjoyable in good company)

Castle.