MasterCard Fraud Detection Unit

"This is the MasterCard Fraud Detection Unit calling. A purchase in the amount of $141.xx was charged to your account from A TOY STORE [Lego.com]. This charge was denied. If you authorized this charge, please press '1' to confirm."

LOL. Why they gotta judge? ;-)

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yah. It's not like you spent $800 on a box of molded plastic.

Niek.
  • @andirunner It's probaly a 'random' test they send out to 'certify' the seller is legit, must say I'm a bit surprised MC does that on $140 (and on a wellkown seller like TLG), never heard of such before... Was it a straight 'debet' card or something else like prepaid or 'gift' card?

@Quertyboy: nice comment, good laugh here, reminds me of my oktober 2016 order in a national webshop (with local store pickup). I ordered for around €4500 Euro (6700 CAD / $5300), a couple of days later I received a notice that it had arrived locally, so I planned pickup a day or 2 later. I realised in the mean while both my credit card and bank card where limited to €2500, so I quickly changed it 'online' to €5000 (bank card).
    I went to pick it up and first they couldn't find it, then a guy came up telling me he had like a full pallet of LEGO 'downstairs' and that he actually called 'main office' in the morning to check there was no mistake with the amounts (5x, 3x, 8x, etc of the same sets)
    They brought the pallet to the counter and started scanning and scanning. Then final price showed... And how are you going to pay for that? (they know cards here are 'normally' limited to €2500), I said: cash, with bankcard. They looked at me as if I was a complete ingnorant weirdo, asked to put in the card and my pin, I did so, biep, biep and suddenly pages and pages came rolling out their printer: 42 pages of 'warranties' (LOL) then around 10 Pages of 'articles' (with 'discounts') and then finally 'final price', VAT amount and the word 'Paid in full'. (and they actually had to change the roll of paper on the printer in the mean while). They looked at me and said: can we give you hand loading that in your car? Yes, that would be appreciated I said ROFLMAO. I'll never forget the look on their face, and neither the faces of the other customers standing in the lines next to me (they actually closed the line I was in, while they where scanning, so some customers had to move to another line because of it).
    I can only guess their thoughts LOL
    Later on I figured: Next purchase like that, I'll just have it delivered at home (costs about €5 extra) :-)
  • Hahaha we got a similar call when the Lego shop first opened in Belgium. We went a bit crazy in the first week, and my wife received a call saying something like "do you know someone's been using your payment card to make four separate purchases of Lego?".
  • @RobErNat Not a test to see if the seller is legit. They make profiles of everyone who has a creditcard and if you don't fit the profile for someone buying Lego you'll get a call. They do it to combat stolen credit card fraud. So it's making sure the buyer is legit.
  • Did they send the swat team?
  • @BrickGenie So if I make 20 LEGO purchases, then buy myself an expensive watch I can expect a call from MC ? I doubt that would happen here as they would proving themselves to be breaching privacy rules...
  • I had this happen one other time, and it *was* fraud. Someone purchased $3000 worth of nutrition products against my cc. The cc company called me and saved me a whole bunch of hassle and time. I get why it happens. It just kind of cracked me up. :)
  • Similar thing happened to me and it too was fraud.
    Had just purchased a washing machine and arranged delivery. Sat in my car after, phone rang and it was my CC provider, enquiring about my purchase. The system flagged it because, apparently I'd bought a washing machine and a TV earlier that week - 168 miles away in a City I've never set foot in.