Too many addresses showing as "different" - when they aren't

@lawrence

Whilst in theory I appreciate the warning

" The shipping address is different to the PayPal address, please make sure to ship to the shipping address on the order."

There are two problems.

I am getting many orders with this warning - non of them so far have been "different"

What is happening is BrickOwl has zip code as (example) 77089

Pay Pal has zip + 4 (same example) 77089-2146

To solve this you could compare the first line of address ONLY or "ignore" the PayPal +4 part of the zip code, most folks won't know the +4 so prompting to enter it on site would be problematic. If the zip code is incorrect USPS will kick it back anyway.

The other is your request of "please make sure to ship to the shipping address on the order"
NO. You should be shipping to the address provided by PayPal - NOT the shipping address on BrickOwl (if different) - this to cover your self in event of loss or claim (not just a PayPal claim).

To correct this you should prompt customer to make sure their addresses match, customer can enter a different "ship to" address with PayPal at check out.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BO's policy is that you ship to the BO address.
  • @Graham I'm always stunned by the fact so many US sellers are 'freaks' about 'to cover yourself'.
    Do you actually realise many sellers in other countries (e.g. Belgium, The Netherlands, Canada, Denmark -and many more-) ship out most orders (in my case it's about 80%) without the slightest form of tracking - and I doubt a postal ticket (not even mentioning a country), would help in any way. Yet people still do so, day after day, without the slightest problem (which proves postal services are pretty safe all around the world and buyers are 'honest'). So why on earth do you worry about an 'extended' zipcode that is hardly 'supported' these days? Yes the Zip probably causes the message on BO, but so what, just ignore it and do your task (ship out), the chances are slim something will go wrong and the chances a buyer files a complaint is even smaller (I had like 5 in 9 years and I refunded 2 before it went to claim -one was a proved con-, I won or tied on 3).
    Right now you are playing the game Paypal tries to have all of their sellers play (which usually means higher costs, so higher benefits for Paypal), while there is no need...
    Sure you can 'lose' one once in a while, but so what, how much does it represent on the total amount per year?
  • PayPal's policy is ship to the PayPal address. Therefore BrickOwl is contradicting PP Policy. Now what?
  • Don't offer PayPal? Or ask your customers to ensure the addresses match?
  • edited August 2017 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Hoddie You could also advise to not use Brickowl, but I suppose that would kinda cause a loss of interest in using PP on BO then LOL :-)
    The 'ask your customers to ensure the addresses match' would be pointless, once the order is placed, the address details are 'locked', even if the buyer changes (or tunes) their address, it would (does) not adjust on running (or past) orders, only on future orders.