Picking orders. Part numbers, inventory, and brick sync

Greetings.

I am a new seller here on brick owl. I am using brick sync to import my listings from another site. Most of the bricks on brickowl have the same part numbers as the other site. However I have noticed about 25% of the parts I have had to pick so far had part numbers on brick owl that did not correspond to the part number on the other site. This made picking these orders difficult, as we had to look the part up on the other site to find out the part number.

Since I organize our parts by part number from the other site on our shelves I have had no reason to put any comments on the parts. Would any comments I make on the parts transfer over to brickowl when imported through brick sync, if so I guess it would make sense just to retype the items part number in the comment section?

I really like this site and think it has better interface than the other site, and instant checkout is a major time saver compared to the other site. My only real issue right now is the time it is taking to pick orders due to these part number differences.

Thanks for those longtime brick sync users who might have a easy solution to this problem for me!

Lisa @ Mitten Bricks and Toys

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depending on how much inventory you have, if it's a lot then you are better off organizing parts by bin number and not the part number itself. Then when you pick, you are picking based on location and just double-check the order when it's all together. So when you lay out your picking process, you would be able to pre-plan which parts go into which bin - that will allow you to not care about the part number. You just need a method of translating the parts from both web sites to the bin number.

However, that being said, I think you may be confusing some aspect of the part number information. If you go by LEGO part number identifiers, one is the part design identifier and one is combination of design and color. So parts of multiple colors of the same design will have their own element ID but they will all share the same design ID.

It looks like BrickOwl does embed the LEGO ID's into the part descriptions but may use their own internal part numbering on the site - as a means to competitiveness but various APIs allow you to get the original/true part number and likely matches 99% or better with the other site.
  • Consider the BrickSync command "setallremarksfromblid" to set the remarks of all your items to their BLID (this can help BrickOwl order picking for sellers sorting their inventory by BLID)
  • I have most of my parts stored by bin... and the remarks carry over great, however, a part of my inventory (minifig heads, torsos, printed tiles, etc.) are sorted by BLID... any suggestions?

Can there be a reverse lookup somehow? FindBLID from order#xxxx
  • @TorontoLego Myabe you could use the BSX files for all the orders, stored in BrickSync/data/orders? The files hold BLIDs, BOIDs, part names and so on.
  • You might check out a tool I built to automatically download your Brickowl-orders into a bsx-file. With Brickstock you can import the downloaded file. The tool tries to find the matching ID from Bricklink, as well the conversion of the colourcode. Still, Brickowl only provides prices in the currency you bought the order (pay attention !). So, now it is possible to merge your inventories from both Brickowl and Bricklink. Good luck.

Feel free to have a look and test the tool. Feedback and suggestions are welcome !

http://www.eidio.be/bo2bl/
  • @TorontoLego Hi Mike, I had the exact same problem in my early days on BO, I do have a box and bag location for minifigparts, but my secondary labeling was indeed BLID's. Soon I noticed I would have a problem identifying some lot's (particulary early on with tons of missing images), I decided to settle to simply add the BLID in my 'personal note' field on BL, alltough timetaking at start, it simply resumed to selecting a category in my BL inventory, and copy/paste the number on the right into the personal note field.
    Today it has become a habit (and with new listings I mostly do straight in Brickstock before I upload), and I do as well for most decorated item (decorated/stickered bricks), not that I always need it, stocklocations are usually enough, but it's a good 'doublecheck' on top.
    Hope it helps :-)
    Cheers, Eric